The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

I'd eat those Oreos. Not a fan of the regular ones. Now they have endless varieties, though, and they did a vanilla cookie one with a really thin cookie that I liked. They didn't seem to leave my molars caked in black cookie like regular Oreos.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Guy's deserves to be visible

If you get tax credit for your third child because they were concieved by rape they get a tax code that tell them they were. No issues there

Comment

The WTF? Thread

A sad story, yes, but part of me wishes all news stories could start with such majestic incongruous shoe-horning as this:

(NEWSER) – Caitlin Nelson was just 5 years old when her father, James Nelson, a Port Authority police officer, was killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, World Trade Center attack. Sixteen years later, tragedy struck the Nelson family again when Caitlin, a student at Connecticut's Sacred Heart University, died after apparently choking during a pancake-eating contest, the Hartford Courant reports.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

What were they thinking? Part 439 - Pepsi.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

ursus arctos wrote: Guy's deserves to be visible

If you get tax credit for your third child because they were concieved by rape they get a tax code that tell them they were. No issues there
            Not that I’m defending any of this horrible stuff, I’m really not, but as an HMRC employee of some 38 years standing, I feel duty bound to point out the obvious that nobody in the UK gets a ‘tax code’ at birth, still less one that might offer any kind of personal identification. Tax codes are only issued to those employed under PAYE, and merely serve to identify the amount of ‘free pay’ one receives before paying tax at the prescribed rate on the balance of their income. Sam Whyte might have meant that any third child whose mother receives tax credit could be stigmatised by association, and that’s a good point, but writing (of the children) that ‘they get a tax code’ - which is not mentioned at all in the Guardian article she references - has a far more literal, and sinister interpretation for most readers.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

It's issued to the mother of the child.

So their employer will be aware of it.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Thanks gjw100 for clarifying that. The bizarre change from "you" to "they" in that tweet, despite the references, it turns out, being to the same person in the same sentence, results in nonsense which left me doubtful as to whether there was actually a problem (since it's clear that a child wouldn't have a tax code and hence my first reaction was that the tweeter seemed to be talking gibberish).

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Guy Profumo wrote: It's issued to the mother of the child.

But tax credits aren't administered via PAYE tax codes, Guy. Generally they are paid directly to the recipient's bank account or similar. So even if the concern expressed here is for the mother rather than the child (and as EEG says, its worded very badly), there is no branding by tax code that an employer or anyone else could draw particular inferences from.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-39502426

“The Passion, a dramatisation of Jesus' final days, will be held on Saturday.

'Dinner with Jesus'

Mr Stewart-Clark, 56, a volunteer for the Passion Trust, said he believed the plan could have raised vital funds, but he respected the committee's decision.

“The idea was, on the Friday when the stage was being set up, to give something tangible for people to pay for.

“It could be £25 to have dinner with Pontius Pilate, £200 to have dinner with Jesus, or in this case £750 to be ‘crucified’, but people didn't embrace it.

It costs about £60,000 to put on this family event and make Manchester proud”

Comment

The WTF? Thread

gjw100 wrote:
                      Originally posted by Guy Profumo
                      It's issued to the mother of the child.

But tax credits aren't administered via PAYE tax codes, Guy. Generally they are paid directly to the recipient's bank account or similar. So even if the concern expressed here is for the mother rather than the child (and as EEG says, its worded very badly), there is no branding by tax code that an employer or anyone else could draw particular inferences from.
                      Ok. Thanks. I was under the impression that the payslip would carry the mother's tax code from the first tweet.

Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

This Pepsi brand design document is indeed "breathtaking".

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Ain't it grand?

I eagerly await WOM's professional view on how typical it is of the genre.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Wow. That is rocket fuel grade bullshit, isn't it? Looks like something Siobhan Sharpe's team at Perfect Curve would churn out.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Shit the bed! That's thermonuclear.
                              It buries the bullshit needle in the first couple of pages and then doubles down.
                              That is bullshit turned up to 12.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The last couple of pages are sheer gold

Comment

The WTF? Thread

It was purported to be a hoax. But it's a hoax that's so close to the stuff that's real that much of the humour is lost. It's like trying to parody a hip hop video.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

ursus arctos wrote: I eagerly await WOM's professional view on how typical it is of the genre.
                                    Wait...have I told the story about the cross-Canada focus groups to evaluate a Canada Pension Plan newsletter template? Like a 4-page, annual, printed at the local copy centre newsletter?

Yeah. People flying hither and yon to basically ask "Do you like this picture? How about this colour? Is the headline big enough to read? Okay, thanks. Here's your $100. I'm off back to the Sheraton for dinner and then a flight home tomorrow." You wouldn't believe the price tag for the final report.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

That Pepsi thing is simply outstanding. I mean, it's got to be a hoax, hasn't it... Hasn't it? If so, that's some truly magnificent effort that's gone into it. I barely want to consider the alternative.

I think my favourite part is near the beginning:
                                      This is apparently where they casually invent time travel, without even so much as mentioning it in the text.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Norway is building a ship tunnel.

Dated 6 April - can't help wondering if it's sourced indirectly from an original source dated 1 April.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39521570

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Why WTF?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Well this is definitely WTF

This is a great earworm to have.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Sheriff Peyton Grinnell of Lake County sheriff's office, Florida. The logical endpoint of the militarization of US Police and the use of Starship Troopers as a training manual.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Comment

The WTF? Thread

United Airlines has police knock passenger unconscious and dragged off plane while blood runs down his face.

What crime did this man commit? He refused to leave an overbooked flight.

Dragged as well, like a wheelbarrow or something. Not carried.

Normalisation of violence by US police in all sorts of situations is something else.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Somewhat more WTF is that it is being described as a "PR Error".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X