Comment

The WTF? Thread

Jaw-dropping levels of wt-fuckery.

"Woman has arm ripped off by parked car"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-37208825

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Maybe not really WTF...

The main titles of "Linda" a 1980s, Hungarian, martial arts, female led, police drama.

Background here

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Don't know if anyone else has seen this.

Not really WTF, more Why the fuck didn't someone else think of this sooner?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Your Usual Table wrote: Robert Liston - Pioneering Surgeon.

Fourth most famous case
            Removal in 4 minutes of a 45-pound scrotal tumour, whose owner had to carry it round in a wheelbarrow.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Three separate school districts in Texas are each building $60M plus football stadiums for their high schools.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The size of the stadium isn't the only issue. Some of those schools are enormous. But rather than break them up to have reasonable sized schools, they prefer to be huge to increase the talent pool for sports and other activities so that they can brag about all the competitions the school has won. God help the kids who get lost in the crowd.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeatWorrier/status/771350632972316672/photo/1

Vampires didn't have a hope in '50s Gorbals.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The Texas high school gridiron stadium situation is both nuts and complicated.

Allen High School, which started the arms race, is a megaschool of the type that Reed notes (c. 4,750 students), but a number of the others serve multiple high schools.

In addition to costing USD 60 million, the Allen Stadium was found to be structurally unsound a year and a half after it opened, and only re-opened for the 2015 season.

Allen High School is located in a rich Dallas suburb and is WTF through and through. The BAND has almost 1,000 members.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Jesus. Guess there's no avoiding good old school spirit.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Purvi Patel released after serving 18 months of what was originally a 20-year sentence for inducing her abortion

Brock Turner released after 3 months of a 6-month sentence for raping an unconscious woman

Open these two articles, side by side. No demeaning arrest photo for Brock Turner. "What's next for ex-Stanford swimmer after his jail stint" Most coverage is very keen to inform us that he's good at swimming.

I'm no fan of prison, but if anyone still wanted proof that the US (and most everywhere else) is a violently misogynistic society, there it is.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

This is a real prime time show on Fox US this fall.

After Gideon Reeves witnesses his best friend’s murder, he takes over Chicago’s troubled 13th District and reboots it as a private police force.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Suppose it'll be better scripted Randian nonsense than Atlas Shrugged. I'd say it's only a matter of time before some Bay Area Colossus tries this shite for reals.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Repairs to the Palace of Westminster will cost HOW MUCH?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37303682

Comment

The WTF? Thread

That does seem a bit steep.

"We" are about to finish the first major renovation of the Capitol since the 50s, and it is costing USD 60 million.

Then again, 4 billion is less than a tenth of the cost of replacing Trident . . .

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I mentioned this on another thread, but here's the toyota ceili band at the all-ireland senior ceili band competition. They are shit hot. and so was the other japanese ceili band.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

ursus arctos wrote: That does seem a bit steep.

"We" are about to finish the first major renovation of the Capitol since the 50s, and it is costing USD 60 million.

Then again, 4 billion is less than a tenth of the cost of replacing Trident . . .
                                      Maybe the Classical plan of the Capitol is more amenable to renovation and service ducts etc than Pugin's crazy mess. 4 billion is fucking hilarious though, imagine the real cost after overruns. Sequester the funds from the Queen and her estates. It's still her palace in theory, isn't it?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

ursus arctos wrote: The Texas high school gridiron stadium situation is both nuts and complicated.

Allen High School, which started the arms race, is a megaschool of the type that Reed notes (c. 4,750 students), but a number of the others serve multiple high schools.

In addition to costing USD 60 million, the Allen Stadium was found to be structurally unsound a year and a half after it opened, and only re-opened for the 2015 season.

Allen High School is located in a rich Dallas suburb and is WTF through and through. The BAND has almost 1,000 members.

I'm wearing the wrong glasses and misread that as Alien High School. Which doesn't seem wrong at all TBH.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The Capitol has probably been maintained over the years though. This isn't your normal repair job. This is 70 odd years of repairs all coming due at once. I mean the place is full of asbestos. It's also worth remembering that the building itself is a grade one listed building, and that places extremely stringent requirements on how they go about repairing the building. A friend of mine has an absolute nightmare on his hands, in that he inherited a grade I listed Dovecote, that he has to repair, but to do it to the requirements would cost well over a million quid. as far as I know he's under some obligation to repair it.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

That was quite something. I welled-up when they got that standing ovation - not sure why!

Comment

The WTF? Thread

A San Antonio mattress store made a commercial for their "Twin Towers sale," with all mattresses the price of a twin mattress in honor of 9/11. Watch until the end.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Incandenza wrote: A San Antonio mattress store made a commercial for their "Twin Towers sale," with all mattresses the price of a twin mattress in honor of 9/11. Watch until the end.
                                                Blimey. The video that comes up next on Youtube is WTF too, but I guess I'm still always surprised by some US news items.

Ta for the celli too TAB. That's something else.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
                                                  I mentioned this on another thread, but here's the toyota ceili band at the all-ireland senior ceili band competition. They are shit hot. and so was the other japanese ceili band.

That was quite something. I welled-up when they got that standing ovation - not sure why!
                                                  hah, so do I. because it's basically like the most absurd and implausible hollywood ending to some tawdry feelgood movie that probably shouldn't have been made, except it's actually real. and It's a proper standing ovation as well. in part it's polite "thanks for taking an interest, and coming all this way, The validation we receive from you mere presence makes us feel ten feet tall" (a bit like I and a lot of irish people feel about people moving here to live)

The other half is that they really were very good. If they had the full band and a couple of years more experience (you usually need two or three runs at it before you are 'competitive') they could have a very realistic chance of winning. Which when you consider that they are from the other side of the world, and have absolutely no connection to ireland, is well.... insane.

what you're seeing there is actually their fourth standing ovation. Apparently the atmosphere was completely mental (March, jig, hornpipe, two reels) And the second japanese band were just as good, unfortunately for them they were the twin that was born second, and so missed out on the farm to a certain extent.

Japan is becoming a much more important touring venue for Irish bands. ten years ago a friend of mine who is a fine Uillean piper, spent four weeks travelling up and down japan giving workshops and playing solo concerts, which ranged from house gatherings of the type common on the american scene, to bars, to the occasional medium sized concert venue.

he told me that there were more uileann pipers in the kyoto prefecture than there were in ireland in the 1950's when the music revival started i.e. more than eight. I used to play quite regularly with a japanese fiddle player when I lived in Dublin. He was over for the year to play tunes and improve his english, while ostensibly studying some course or other.

Basically he explained it more or less as follows. It starts with Japan having an awful lot of people. Then on top of that, Japan has a rich folk tradition, japan has a lot of kids who learn classical music at school, and reach a certain technical standard, and become relatively bored of it. They come into contact with this very vibrant folk culture, on an island archipelago (scottish folk music shares a lot in common with irish music, but was retarded by the triumvirate of presbyterianism, sheep and grouse, and victorian appropriation and gentrification) on the opposite side of world.

it's simple enough to understand, and get into, and the further you get into it, the more complicated and rewarding it becomes. (it's essentially no different to me finishing my piano exams, and buying a book of scott joplin pieces and learning off about twenty of them, and suddenly wishing I had done more practice on the way up)

It's also a cultural pastime where the usual expression is playing a load of tunes with other people in a pub, which quite frankly is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. It's an enormously social activity, so it's essentially self reinforcing. Which kind of explains why it's massively stronger today than at any point in the past.

If you travel to galway, and you call into a city centre pub there's a very good chance you'll come across anders and Mayo who do the five o'clock gig in taafes, and then does the evening gig in coili's. He's from denmark and she's from japan, and by the looks of things in this video he's exploring the accordion playing of the 1920's.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I can't remember a time when London's Evening Standard was a serious paper but it has crashed lower than ever since becoming a freesheet PR vehicle for Alexander Lebedev's laughable son.

Today's cover is just new levels of batshit crazy though ;

Comment

Working...
                                                    X