The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

WOM wrote: There's nothing like a hot 1%'er in a bikini on a yacht to make you think about the big stuff. She wants gun control and a 'real' President. I wonder which candidate she thinks that is.
    Given her history, it will be Gary Johnson.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/residents-horrified-by-nazi-flag-raised-at-cheltenham-home/story-29555293-detail/story.html

(What's the logo in the "confederate" flag btw?

Is that another "perfectly harmless political grouping" by any chance?)

Edit: and the local Dibble will be in touch to tell him to "take it down"

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/police-say-nazi-flag-in-cheltenham-is-extremely-offensive-and-will-not-be-tolerated/story-29557120-detail/story.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitt er

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Guy Profumo wrote: http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/residents-horrified-by-nazi-flag-raised-at-cheltenham-home/story-29555293-detail/story.html

(What's the logo in the "confederate" flag btw?

Is that another "perfectly harmless political grouping" by any chance?)

Edit: and the local Dibble will be in touch to tell him to "take it down"

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/police-say-nazi-flag-in-cheltenham-is-extremely-offensive-and-will-not-be-tolerated/story-29557120-detail/story.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitt er
        I presume that the "logo" is based on this:

Comment

The WTF? Thread

It's "The South Will Rise Again."

Based on the nonsense that "states rights" was the primary motor for the American Civil War, rather than the backers of the Confederacy were to a man and woman worthless pieces of sub-human racist shit.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Yeah, it's a redneck thing.

I'm not sure there is any connection at all to Iron Maiden, as there a number of other versions featuring skulls or skeletons that aren't as close a match to The Trooper

Comment

The WTF? Thread

If I was a terrorist, I could have killed them all

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Rhyming slang?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Very Brass Eye.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Is it "if I were" a terrorist or "if I was?" Was seems grammatically correct but were feels better somehow.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Reed John wrote: Is it "if I were" a terrorist or "if I was?" Was seems grammatically correct but were feels better somehow.
                      Which is why I'd of used "if I had been"...

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Both 'was' and 'were' are acceptable these days; 'were' would be preferred by old-fashionedergrammarers.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

This is a nice story.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

And some different news from Norway, too. Not such a nice story, unless you're ill disposed to golf

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Lodzubelieveit wrote: Both 'was' and 'were' are acceptable these days; 'were' would be preferred by old-fashionedergrammarers.
                              "Qhere" is (future subjunctive?) - something that could happen as as result of this, whereas "was" is something that could have happened as a result of this?

This is not definitive btw.

This is how I would read the nuance and difference between the two.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Surely this deserves a thread of its own?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I see your sarcasm, but I posted before Patrick started his thread.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Guy Profumo wrote:
                                    Originally posted by Lodzubelieveit
                                    Both 'was' and 'were' are acceptable these days; 'were' would be preferred by old-fashionedergrammarers.
                                    "Qhere" is (future subjunctive?) - something that could happen as as result of this, whereas "was" is something that could have happened as a result of this?

This is not definitive btw.

This is how I would read the nuance and difference between the two.
                                    As an EFL teacher, I'm always going to be interested in quick and simple explanations to students. In this case, that "If I was a terrorist, I'd have killed them all" and "If I were a terrorist, I'd have killed them all" are both acceptable, with the latter being a slightly more formal style, and the first clause indicating that you are not a terrorist in both cases.

Is "Qhere" a word?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Guy Profumo wrote: Surely this deserves a thread of its own?
                                        You mean like this one?

EDIT

Ah just seen this

San Bernardhinault wrote: I see your sarcasm, but I posted before Patrick started his thread.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

ursus arctos wrote:
                                          What's wrong with that?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Minister to tackle airport alcohol consumption.

Couple of things: did anyone know that the UK has an aviation minister?

And: what a wonderful idea from the conservatives. Get a muslim to look into alcohol consumption.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

San Bernardhinault wrote: I see your sarcasm, but I posted before Patrick started his thread.
                                              Aye.

I know.

It's usually me that starts a brand new thread when something has already been put on here.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Daily Star journalist gets confused about gun calibres.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

That was excellent.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

That's glorious. I like the idea that the sixty foot barrels on the deck of a battleship were entirely for show, given that the real guns were only 15 inches long.

I'm now dying to the ultimate in portable infantry firepower, a six pounder field gun.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X