Vaguely pointless domain name quandry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been on the lookout for a domain name to register, to use for my portfolio and one or two other things, and finally, after much vacillation, I settled on a two word name. The only problem is that the .com version, that I really want, has gone. However, the .co.uk and .net (among other suffixes) versions are available, as is the hyphenated .com alternative.

Given that my ideal choice, the unhyphenated .com, had gone, what's the better option - an alternative suffix, or hyphenation?

Like it really matters. But if I get the hyphenated one, I'll always have to say "first bit dash second bit" when I spell it out, and that's annoying. However, I really want a .com, because other suffixes seem kind of lesser, you know, and again, I'll always have to make sure I say "that's dot co dot uk" whenever I tell people the URL.

Hmm. Possibly the most inconsequential quandry that I've ever had to face, and certainly that's ever been posted on OTF. Even including the Pink Panther hat query the other day. Nevertheless, advice welcome. Ta.

Just do whatever you feel most comfortable with mate. No one will think any the less of you.

One piece of advice though - never use two-word names, otherwise you have to decide whether or not to hyphenate them.

Does this help?

Comment

Yeah. That's a big-help.com

Comment

Yes to .com.
        No to hyphens or any other abnormal treatments, including numbers or words that don't work well fo-ne-ti-ca-lly.
        An internet firm in Toronto is call PsiNet, which probably sounded cool when they came up with it. However, in their radio spots they have to say "Visit us at Pee Es Eye Net.com"
        If you're not in a hurry, PM me what you want and I'll try to suss a close-enough workaround. I do this about three times a month for clients anyway.

Comment

Easy. Change your real name to something like freespace.net/dave.

Bit of a mouthful when you meet someone for the first time, but problem solved.

Comment

Have any of us registered the domain "minutes-ago.com" yet?

Comment

I registered a one-word .co.uk domain years ago and have never worked out what it is I want to do with it.

Comment

You're sort of restricted, idea-wise, when it's freeblowjobs.co.uk, though.

Comment

Yeah, my idea of the FreeBlow recruitment site kind of fell apart.

Comment

I registered a one-word .co.uk domain years ago and have never worked out what it is I want to do with it.
                    Park it and fill it with adverts. If it's a good one, it might be worth something. Dare we ask what the domain is?

Comment

sure, it's fervent.co.uk

- it was a personal homepage for a while, then taken down as I had nothing I felt like sharing.

Comment

Yeah, not something people are likely to stumble across by accident.

But you never know, could be something an automobile, perfume or washing powder company might use.

[Jeremy Clarkson] Y'know the new Ford Fervent is so wonderful, I'm going to shag it. Up the tailpipe. [/Jeremy Clarkson]

Comment

PM for WornOldMotorbike

Comment

Replied to.

Comment

Working...
                            X