Diane Abbot on Desert Island discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic stuff. What a brilliant woman, an inspiration to us all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/desertislanddiscs.shtml

Hypocritical private education supporting Tory windbag. You're lucky not to have to share her TV sofa love-in with old school chum Portillo and Andrew Neil, with us Brit-based insomiacs.

Good Beatles choice though.

Comment

I don't really understand this thread

Comment

I nearly crashed my car screaming at the radio when this was on. I've always said that her decision to send her kid to a private school makes her position completely untenable. I f**king hate the way she just skims over the issue on that piece.

Comment

As I see it, Bombanero posted a commendably ironic opener that was then decoded by BITC.

That Desert Island list will of course been compiled and edited by her agent in order to display dutiful eclecticism and gravitas.

She probably likes Westlife really.

Edit - this was in response to ad hoc.

Comment

ad hoc wrote:
            I don't really understand this thread
            Listen to the programme. She's a smug, smarmy, patronising hypocrite, and she really does herself justice on this.

She turns the private education thing into 'I had to choose between my image and my son, and I chose my son', and how great it was that Harriet Harman (who, incidentally, was the first Labour personality to make me want to smash my laptop to pieces this morning when she was defending the Labour campaign in Crewe) supported her decision.

Comment

Ah sorry, I just read the list of choices, which didn't really have me screaming at the internet (not that I think they are that good).

Comment

She "cracked Cambridge" apparently. People from grammar schools in rich areas being completely unknown at Oxbridge.

Comment

It also led onto the item that has been blighting me all this week - Cherie Blair reading her own memoirs.

I almost started a thread entitled "We don't want to know about your barren self-awareness"

Still quite fancy her sister though

Comment

Diane Abbott happens to be my MP. A lot to hate her for, of course, but at least she votes against the government occasionally and actually speaks in Parliament.

Comment

Yeah, but hang on Disco. She's my MP too and she urges me to send my son to a school in Hackney while sending her son to the City of London School. F**k her.

Comment

Has she actually spoken in public urging people in her constituency to send their kids to the local state school? In which she is a monumental hypocrite.

Comment

Well, she does shitloads of campaigning for the improvement of the standard of education in state schools in Hackney - especially for black kids. She ran a campaign to tackle black kids' underachievement in schools called- I think - The Search for Solutions. Lots of it is based around challenging peoples' negative perceptions of Hackney schools.
                          She also does loads of speaking about how wonderful Hackney is how it's nothing like the stereotype people have of it. It's all good, relevant stuff - but totally undermined by her decision. The "it was my family or my principles" is bogus. You either believe in a principle or you don't, end of.

Also, she publicly spoke out against Tony Blair and Harriet Harman for not sending their kids to state schools.

Having said all that, she's very likeable and I like her - but I would've maintained respect for her if she'd done what she did and stood down from her position as an MP/campaigner.

Comment

Working...
                          X