X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, earthworms, then

Oh, come on.

The cooling power of worms.

Did anyone have one of those things at school that's like a narrow frame with two sheets of glass and a load of soil in the middle, that you keep earthworms in and observe their activities?

Is it true that if you cut them in half, they'll carry on living as two worms?

I like that little dance that seagulls do on the grass when they're trying to kid the worms that it's raining.

WORMS.

So, earthworms, then

Worms can regenerate a fair bit of their bodies but I seem to remember cutting them in half was a bit fatal.

They're hermaphrodite too.

Comment

So, earthworms, then

Did anyone have one of those things at school that's like a narrow frame with two sheets of glass and a load of soil in the middle, that you keep earthworms in and observe their activities?

A wormery.

We had one at school and it was ace.

Comment

So, earthworms, then

There was also that practical everyone seemed to do, involving a quadrant, a bottle of formaldehyde, worm counting and some girl's blouse in your class who was scared of worms.

Comment

So, earthworms, then

That's something to do with Charles Darwin discovering that the biomass of the worms in a given area is equal to that of the cattle that can be kept there, isn't it?

Is that true, by the way?

Comment

So, earthworms, then

I think it was just to estimate how many worms there were on any given piece of land.

Comment

So, earthworms, then

I don't know about surviving being cut in half, I just wish the little fuckers would get to work in our composter. I want mulch, not a pile of rotting veg.

Comment

So, earthworms, then

I don't like worms. I've no idea why, but the sight of wormcasts (the little mud or sand extrusions) used to make me feel queasy. And when they'd go mental trying to squirm it used to freak me out.

Comment

So, earthworms, then

The Formation of Vegetable Mould through the Actions of Worms

Darwin was the first person to figure out, or maybe just to prove, the role that worms played in creating top soil.

Comment

So, earthworms, then

You lot must have gone to posher schools than me.

While you were discussing Darwin in biology practicals, we were just chucking worms at each other.

Comment

So, earthworms, then

Oh no, I read about it recently and made the connection just now. Even if the teacher had mentioned it, we would have been too busy chucking worms about to pay any notice.

Comment

So, earthworms, then

They do worm charming in some hideous, Deliverance-esque backwater somewhere, don't they? where you get your little square and you have to make as many worms appear as you can. The winner, last time I heard about it in about 1987 or something, won by pouring beer on his little square. The worms went mad for it, and all came up to the surface, pissed as a shit.

Comment

So, earthworms, then

Worms are fabulous.

I would like to exhort mine to get to work in the same way as KM has above. They seem particularly lazy this year. It's as though they gave notice at their job, not me.

Comment

So, earthworms, then

EIM wrote:
                            They do worm charming in some hideous, Deliverance-esque backwater somewhere, don't they? where you get your little square and you have to make as many worms appear as you can. The winner, last time I heard about it in about 1987 or something, won by pouring beer on his little square. The worms went mad for it, and all came up to the surface, pissed as a shit.
                            "When you're fighting a weasel, it's as big as a man."

Comment

Working...
                            X