Well that's a little disappointing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GO - Yes, they are. I think Bounty and Mounds are the same thing with different names. Mounds is really a stupid name for a chocolate bar.

Comment

Spam fritters, mash and beans.
      Word.

I haven't had one for yonks, but I actually liked the non-descript chemicality of pear-drops. Which is probably why my favourite American Hard Gum was always the black one, which was actually harder than the rest and had a very strange taste indeed.

Comment

Does 'American Hard Gum' = 'Jelly Beans'?

If so, I hate the black ones and the green ones always tasted like chemicals to me.

Comment

Nah. American Hard Gums are like mahoosive fruit pastilles. So big they could be God's nipples. I used to buy a big bag of them from SuperDrug on the way home from school if I was feeling flush.

Comment

No ... they were (are?) a sugar-coated jelly sweet in the shape of a thimble, various colours, sold loose from those big jars behind the counter of sweet shops in Britain.

I don't think jelly beans ever got to be a really big thing in England. Jelly babies, yes. (Now there's a weird concept - jelly, in the shape of a baby, and you bite its head off first ...)

Comment

I know what you're talking about. We have those too, but I don't know what they're called here.

Comment

Yes, FF, them's the ones. What a lovely photo! I can feel my teeth decaying just looking at it.

Comment

Gumdrops I think we call them.

Comment

Duh! Yes, that's it. Thanks, jefe.

Comment

erwin wrote:
                      No ... they were (are?) a sugar-coated jelly sweet in the shape of a thimble, various colours, sold loose from those big jars behind the counter of sweet shops in Britain.

I don't think jelly beans ever got to be a really big thing in England. Jelly babies, yes. (Now there's a weird concept - jelly, in the shape of a baby, and you bite its head off first ...)
                      One of my favorite things from Arrested Development was the use of 'thing of candy beans.'

Comment

I had a packet of roast chicken flavour Hula Hoops, the other day. They're trying to play with my mind, I tells ya.

Comment

WE, I think the smell of almonds is associated with gangrene. I haven't heard that about cyanide.

I love the black jelly beans and the black gum drops. Everyone I know seems to not like them, but I know I'm not alone because my mom always buys me a bag of black jelly beans for Easter. If they sell bags of nothing but black ones, there must be a market for them beyond me.

BTW, my cousin is now working for the company in Ohio that makes Dum Dum lollipops, Circus Peanuts (those orange foam-like things) and peppermint candy canes (although those are made in Mexico). So at some point in the future, I will probably come into possession of a 50 lb box of lollipops. Just a heads up.

Comment

Those bbq roast chicken hula hoops are very very nice.

Comment

Just off Lordship Lane, I think. It's fairly posh round there.
                              Hang on, the place is called Lordship Lane and you're complaining it's posh?

American Hard Gums, along with Fruit Gums in a box (none of this plastic packet rubbish) were the ultimate cinema sweet. Nowadays it's shit like bloody nachos with a sauce that looks radioactive and smells like something evil and contaminates the whole place, or those Starbust Jooster things that rustle like buggery when you take them out of the wrappers.

Or sweet popcorn, which is just wrong.

Comment

I don't know why, but "desecrated coconut" made me laugh out loud.

Comment

Working...
                                X