Hat identification advice required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, this has been bugging me for a while. What's the proper name for this hat, as modelled here by Peter Sellers:

Cursory internet searches say it's a trilby, but I thought a trilby had a firm brim? The one above has a floppy brim and has a more rounded top.

I don't know, but my dad calls them "farmer's hats" when he talks about how drivers who wear them are the worst sort to get stuck behind in traffic.

Comment

Your second picture is a homburg. I think technically Clouseau wore a trilby, but the brim thing is confusing, it's usually not worn like that. The shape is that of a bucket hat, but I think those tend to be summer/cricket wear.

Comment

It is a Trilby, with the brim down. Trilby's brims are softer than Homburgs.

Comment

Ah, you people never let me down.

Comment

there is a helpful guide here:

http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/historyhats.aspx

and other useful indications on their site. I have a bit of a fetish for men in hats. well, for hats generally.

Sellers' trilby has a very narrow brim as well as being worn in an unusual way.

Comment

I can't wait to see what Liq comes back with from Moscow after reading that . . .

Clouseau's trilby has been crushed in his pocket and seems primarily intended for use in the rain. It wouldn't fit with his character for him to be dashing in this single respect.

Comment

Here's the look Liq will rock for Spangles:

Comment

I think I may need to buy these and then find a hobby that requires them.

Comment

"Eccentric uncle/peculiar neighbour" should take care of the hobby bit.

Comment

Reed of the Valley People wrote:
                      I think I may need to buy these and then find a hobby that requires them.
                      You need to buy a Caterham 7 to complete the look, though, Reed.

Comment

Great idea! Although I don't own a garage or have any money with which to acquire such a fine motorcar, it would be cheaper than my first idea.

Comment

Man, I love proper hats. Shame I look stupid in them. What I wouldn't give to look cool in a porkpie hat. Or a hat like Brodie from Homicide wore.

Comment

Reed, with that hat you could try to become a Chelsea goalkeeper or professional gimp.

Comment

Speaking of hats...

You would not believe how many saddos in brown fedoras were waiting outside the Uptown Theater last night four hours in advance for the midnight opening of the new Indiana Jones film.

Comment

So, how was it?

Comment

I haven't seen it. We saw Iron Man (again) at 8 pm, by which time Indiana Jones had already sold out and there were about 20 people queuing up for it. When we came out around 10, there were about 40 people. When we came out of the pub at 11 pm, the theater had let them inside to wait.

We considered trying to go to Indy last night but then my friend said he couldn't stay out that late so we opted for Iron Man.

That would have been a really poor plan anyway, because I figured we could probably turn up around 11:30 and get in. I had no idea it would sell out in advance or that there'd be a queue. I didn't know Indiana Jones had that sort of Star Warsian following.

Comment

One of the biggest theaters in Hollywood started showing it on every one of their screens at midnight last night, and all but 3 of the 11 screenings between 12am and 1am was sold out. Near Star Warsian fandom, but not quite there.

I saw a screenshot of their website, and the 11am screening this morning at the Cinerama Dome (my choice for the best theater I've ever been in) was not sold out. If it wasn't for the baby, I'd be there for that.

Comment

I'll probably go this weekend.

Comment

ad hoc, that is not a Homburg,this is a Homburg

but what is this called?

Comment

Yud?

Comment

Working...
                                          X