Going to the dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to the dogs?

Not any more you won't be as Walthamstow dogs is going to close in August.

Predictably sold to developers. The council must be mad to give planning for more shitty fucking flats and allowing this, Waltham Forest's only iconic symbol to get flattened.

I'm gutted and disgusted.

Going to the dogs?

They stick mustard up the dog's arses when they put them in the traps to make them run faster, I was once told.

Comment

Going to the dogs?

The only tip I ever had at the dogs was to watch for the one that had a dump on the parade down to the traps. It made them run better.

Comment

Going to the dogs?

deja vu threadwise, but its still a shame.

I have had many chicken in a bucket dinners there, whilst getting fleeced by dog owners giving their charges a bucket of water, or putting an elastic band round their willie before the start.

Comment

Going to the dogs?

Fritz, the other thread:
          http://www.wsc.co.uk/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,35/func,view/id,29477/catid,31/

I feel and share your pain.

Comment

Going to the dogs?

yes, sorry EIM, I knew someone else had done this. Its a shame, still.

Does Tesco really need one there?

Comment

Going to the dogs?

At least get my name right

Comment

Going to the dogs?

listen, after Night Nurse, you all meld into one.

or possibly Ballyregan Bob/Scurlogue Champ/Glenowen Queen/My Tootsie

(whom I saw all in one night... I was chuffing blessed, and 3 in one race)

Comment

Going to the dogs?

Not surprising really, but still very upsetting. Are no parts of the stadium listed? I hope the council will at least keep hold of the neon signs round the entrance and put it up somewhere- which sounds a bit ridiculous but I'd rather that than some bit of cheap community art going in a park.

Geronto, was that the race where one of the big two hurt its leg?

Comment

Going to the dogs?

I went to Brighton & Hove dogs on Sunday, and actually made a modest profit (you may remember my statistically extraordinary run of bad luck on my previous visit.) Enough to pay for lunch at the Toby carvery in Worthing, anyway. I guess that's as good as it's gonna get, and I'll savour the experience of being at the dogs (and consider the betting losses to be a necessary expense of that).

Bloody disgrace about Walthamstow. That's such a beautiful building. Especially at night time.

Comment

Going to the dogs?

Does this mean that the dog racing in Walthamstow will go underground? Will there be illicit midnight meets where shifty types will hastily set up a portable trap set and motorised hare rail? Will it be like the 80's rave scene all over again? That could be quite good.

Comment

Going to the dogs?

King Mob wrote:
                        Does this mean that the dog racing in Walthamstow will go underground? Will there be illicit midnight meets where shifty types will hastily set up a portable trap set and motorised hare rail? Will it be like the 80's rave scene all over again? That could be quite good.
                        That actually happens in South Wales. I read a thing about it. Apparently, dog welfare leaves a lot to be desired, as you'd expect.

Comment

Going to the dogs?

Its got wider significance as the UK becomes a huge mass of housing and supermarkets and all individuallity is squeezed out of every district.

In London nothing has been as profitable as selling out your land, pub, factory, football ground, dog tract to developers who put up crappy flats, supermarkets or those storage places.

Comment

Going to the dogs?

Tubbs, as I understand it, the frontage is listed, a la the old east and west stands at Highbury.

For those interested in gestures of impotent anger, there's a save walthamstow dogs Facebook group up and running. I'd imagine this week's local paper will be full of stuff about it - I'll keep people posted.

Comment

Going to the dogs?

Please do.

What Fritz said. Actually I don't blame developers all that much. It's more down to the greenfield-brownfield distinction which values space outside towns more highly than that in it, which pushes the price of urban land up so that as Juvenal said of ancient Rome, "every tree has to earn its keep". Still, we can rejoice that some patch of green about 10 miles from Walthamstow has been saved.

I wonder to what degree grants are offered to the dogs.

Comment

Going to the dogs?

Scandalous isnt it. The perimeter walls with the neon lighting are listed iirc.

BTW E10 have you seen the plans for the development near Blackhorse Rd tube yet? A series of tower blocks ascending in height from four stories at the tube end of Forest Rd to something like twenty stories overlooking the River Lee. Aparently the largest one is an attempt at an "iconic/gateway building" at the Borough borders.

Comment

Going to the dogs?

Yeah, there's a new school building in among that lot, but with some lost land at the far end of the Douglas Eyre playing fields. All a bit bewildering - I tend not to be too instinctively nimbyish about new housing (this area's short of it), but I'm generally sceptical about flashy developments like this.

Comment

Going to the dogs?

You think those plans are bad? You want to see what's planned for Shoreditch. They can keep their fucking East London Line station if it means we get these buildings to justify it.

If you want to get some idea of the monstrous scale of these buildings (which aren't needed) look at the insignificant building above the "U" in the words "BISHOPS SQUARE". That's Christ Church, Spitalfields.

Comment

Going to the dogs?

Latest:
                                      http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/walthamforest/walthamforestnews/3214883.THE_STOW__MPs_push_for_dog_stadium_repriev e/

We're gonna miss Neil Gerrard when he's gone.

Anyway, the place seems to have been absolutely rammed every week since the announcement. I went last Saturday and just getting to place your bet before the off was a military operation. Which was probably just as well for me given what an unsuccessful night I had.

Comment

Working...
                                      X