I can't get the hang of community activism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this doesn't seem too Partridge-like, I'm leading something of a bins crusade in the Bethnal Green area. In its infinite wisdom our council has given a blanket permission to all businesses to store its rubbish on the pavement, permanently, not just when the rubbish people are coming.

Even if these businesses all gave more than a flying fuck, this would seem like a strange way to make shopping in the area pleasant. In some places, the pavement is quite narrow enough. Anyway, lots of businesses routinely overfill the bins (which are very scruffy and need a wash) and some, for good measure leave the lids of the bins open all the time. Nothing like that sun on rubbish effect, is there?

Anyway, I've complained to the council, and the helpful officer has admitted that the policy isn't the best and vowed to go up and down a couple of streets and crack down on the worst with a view to getting the whole policy changed. My recently re-elected councillor is also on the case, and sick to death of this shite.

So today, I went past a charity shop, a nice place. The bins were overfilled, wedged open with shit, and the public (not surprisingly) were bunging bit of food into it. I thought I didn't want to see the book chucked at this nice shop, so would explain about what was going down.

I asked to see the boss, who responded that it was OK because there was no food in it (not true), the street looked shit anyway, and bizarrely the unemployed could tidy it up "like they do in America where there's no mess". All the staff came to argue with me and the boss (like thick people do, or at least people feeling a bit defensive) eventually hit on a clever sounding phrase- "your comments have been noted". It was then decided that it was OK because the rubbish people were coming "on Friday".

Anyway, is your street full of shit? Does anyone care? Should I just take a photo and grass the fuckers up next time? And fuck the charity.

I think it would be most effective to organize a boycott of those shops until they agree to store their bins in a better place. A couple of slow sales days might turn things around quickly.

Comment

Worn Old Mbeki wrote:
      I think it would be most effective to organize a boycott of those shops until they agree to store their bins in a better place. A couple of slow sales days might turn things around quickly.
      You mean following the brilliant example of Napoli?

Comment

The problem is, Tubby, that you are in London.

If you were in any village, town or small city, you could write to the local paper and people would actually read it and get agitated about it. This is especially the case with things like litter, seagulls, rowdy yoofs.

Your problem is that you can only get in touch with the Standard who wouldn't give a shit probably or the Bethnal Green Murderer or somesuch which people probably don't read as there are so many free papers.

If they are breaching some sort of regulations, you could get in touch with the local PCSOs who might have a word. Here we have their mobile numbers but you might have to go through your local cop shop

Comment

The PCSOs are a good idea, if this does break a law. I'll ask my councillor if she thinks this might work.

Comment

I'll put David Miliband in touch Tubbs. He emailed me yesterday rhapsodising about the need for community activism. He also promised "we" were going on a "journey". Which sounds jolly exciting. Even if he didn't say where, or why.

Anyway, my street's a bit of a mare too, largely because it's at the bottom of the country's largest street market, whose detritus is hastened down my road by the wind at the end of every weekend. My lefty instinct is to blame the shite private contractors 'doing' the borough's street cleaning. And people not giving enough of a shit.

Comment

Is this Milliband fellow a former dustman?

There's a dubious private contractor involved here, Veolia. Their staff actually seem pretty good, but it's emerged that one of the egregious offenders "doesn't have a contract with the contractor". God knows what this means. Maybe they rely on wind to carry it away.

You can't do much about members of the public chucking shit down, but there's a relatively small number of traders around who are bound by environmental health and the like. I really can't understand why a letter doesn't go out and it doesn't stop.

Comment

Are we saying that David Milliband is a "garbage contractor" like these fellows?

Actually, forget what I said about the PCSOs, Tubby. You are on your own with this one

Comment

Working...
                X