Chips & tellies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chips & tellies

So, a mate was telling me that a chap he knows had the need to visit a house in the South Bank area of my town in a professional capacity. When he got there, apparently the kitchen was absolutely full of deep fat fryers, the walls running with grease and large amounts of potatoes everywhere. It seems this place was being ran as an illegal back street chip den, allegedly with a stream of kids coming to buy said chips.
    It would seem that there is a market for these unlicensed spudeasies – it was suggested that they are frequented by those who (or whose parents) are unable make their own chips and that the nearest official premises are too far. The chip house would operate for a few months before things got too hot then it would move on.

I mean I’m not entirely sure I believe this, and it does sound like the most Northern thing I’ve heard since our dad pointed out a house he and my Uncle Charlie went to to buy a couple of ferrets after their old one bit their auntie and met a grisly end, but, you know, crikey.

And I was going to say something about this the other week and there’s almost a theme here.

I received one of those catalogues for buying your furniture, general white goods etc. through your telly – that is, you put a pound in the TV to make it work for an hour or two and pay off your nice new bed that way rather £10 a week with the usual type of catalogue – through the door the other day. Cheek, I thought.
    A mate of mine used to work for one of these firms a few years ago as a collector, going round people’s houses to empty the tellies. He’d tell the odd story about people using a pound coin attached to a wire to try and beat the mechanism or turning up to some house that was semi-derelict with ten lads sitting around smoking bifters and watching the malevolent cyclops, he’d open up the coin box and it’d be full of water and warn them although he didn’t give a monkey’s about them trying to rob his firm it wasn’t a good idea to make your own coins out of ice to use in an electrical device.
    Or a guy he worked with repoing a bed then smashing it up in the street out of devilment.
    Apparently business used to spike when the Boro got to a cup final, as used to be the fashion, as people sold off their possessions to go.

And as you’d imagine it’s not really a value for money way to shop. A guy I work with didn’t actually believe such a system operates anymore, but it’s still going strong thirty years after I remember my gran putting 50p in the gas meter. And it’s not that long ago that I got the gas & leccy key meters taken out of my house.

I mean, this is no doubt luxury for many people in the first part of my username, but that chip shop thing really shocked me – you know, “how the other half live”. I have no real point to make other than that. And sorry the title is so rubbish.

Chips & tellies

Brilliant.

I bet the South Bank area of my town doesn't have any of those. Though it would make a good Installation at the Hayward.

Comment

Chips & tellies

I had no idea the coin operated TV thing was for general goods. I thought it was just for the TV itself.

Comment

Chips & tellies

Having been to your South Bank, I suspect you're right. More books too, I would imagine.
        Our South Bank is one that's often featured in articles about buying a whole street for some Esso World Cup coins.

And "The South Bank Show" was always a constant let-down.

Well, I do admit to being a little surprised at first myself when I heard about people buying beds, the concept of tellies, videos etc. I was au fait with, but my pal started there I learned a whole lot more. I wish I'd had a bit more of a look through the catalogue before sticking it in the recycling.

Comment

Chips & tellies

Ice coins to fool the machinery?

Magnificent.

Comment

Chips & tellies

Anything like this always reminds me of Philip K Dick's novel Ubik, which starts with disorganised repairman Joe Chip (ha!) unable to leave his house because he doesn't have any change to operate the door. When he attempts to fiddle with it it threatens to sue him. I don't think he thought of ice coins.

Comment

Chips & tellies

I love Ubik so much. Disorganised doesn't really begin to describe Chip, though.

Comment

Chips & tellies

I find it difficult to believe that anyone in Boro lives far away from a chippy when I worked there I visited hundreds.

Comment

Chips & tellies

torres, I can't be sure of the reasoning behind this, perhaps it's to avoid costly overheads and undercut rivals, but there you have it.

Now, our mam will proper knack me if she hears I've been telling people about this, but when I was a kid our dad used his skills from making his own toy soldiers as a yout dem to make a cast of a pound coin, melting part of her kitchen worktop in the process, and took a bunch of the slugs down the arcades in Redcar to try them out. They didn't work.

Comment

Chips & tellies

It will more than likely be because home made chips are nicer.
                    Re coin operated TVs I had one for the 1982 world cup and the bastard clapped out during the magnificent Brazil v Italy game I had to borrow 50p off my next door neighbour who was"nt best pleased as he only had a quid on him, come to think of it I still owe him that.

Comment

Chips & tellies

sowe2boro wrote:
                      torres, I can't be sure of the reasoning behind this, perhaps it's to avoid costly overheads and undercut rivals, but there you have it.

Now, our mam will proper knack me if she hears I've been telling people about this, but when I was a kid our dad used his skills from making his own toy soldiers as a yout dem to make a cast of a pound coin, melting part of her kitchen worktop in the process, and took a bunch of the slugs down the arcades in Redcar to try them out. They didn't work.
                      They work in supermarket trolleys.

Comment

Chips & tellies

The 'ice coin' is a Billy Connolly trick from a book he 'wrote' called 'The Big Yin' circa 1974...

Apparently, it especially worked in fag machines, in discos.

Comment

Chips & tellies

I imagine it would work well in those tray-style pool tables too.

Comment

Chips & tellies

Our next door neighbours told me that, upon buying their house, they found a shed that had quite obviously been used for the making of home-made pork scratchings.

Comment

Chips & tellies

i haven't come across the word 'bifters' in donkey's years.

that's a good post, sw2boro.

Comment

Chips & tellies

'Bifter' was still part of the teenage lexicon during the 90's in the Sheffield area. Not being down with the youth anymore, I am unable to verify whether it remains so.

Comment

Chips & tellies

I can't say I ever ran across an illegal back street chippie during my brief sojourn on Teesside. There was, however, a bloke in one of my seminar groups who often sported a SWAT cap with the 'S' picked out and replaced by a lovingly hand-embroidered 'T'.

Comment

Chips & tellies

MOMAD and CTT - how on earth would you stop an ice coin from becoming a water coin for long enough to test out either of those suggested uses?

Comment

Chips & tellies

Absolutely no idea - it cant have been that cold in Glasgow many moons ago.

Comment

Chips & tellies

Well, for a pool table, you order a drink (with ice) in a pub that has one and then use your teeth to fashion the coins.

Comment

Chips & tellies

Didn't the ice coin thing also crop up in an episode of Boys From The Blackstuff?

Or possibly Bread.

Comment

Working...
                                          X