Who's working class today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the UK sense, is it used to generally mean "just keeping one's head above water, week to week"? That's the vibe I get, aside from the 'badge of honour/authenticity' sense that we've discussed ad nauseum.

Comment

The idea that 60 million people fit into just three socio-economic groups is absurd.
      As it goes, WOM, it's actually only two.

Comment

Two? Meaning what - working classes and the bourgeoisie? That's very Marxian of you TT.

Comment

Haha, yes, it is, isn't it?

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
            Okay, can I throw it out again then? What is 'working class'? Today, like. Not when everyone's dad drove a lorry or their grandad worked in a mine.
            I think it means you are allowed by law to ring into to radio talkshows to complain about PC gone mad and the soft, liberal middle classes turning kids into poofs and hoodies. And the music you make is inherently better than anyone else's because it's more real.

Comment

Aren't middle class supposed to be people who don't have to get up everyday and work for a living?
              I fucking wish.

As for the poor middle and upper classes, it supports my point doesn't it.
              Your class is not dependant on how much money you earn or what qualifications or job you do, its about breeding.
              True dat. If someone can move from working to middles class in their own lifetime then the reverse is true, but that's not a concept I support. If someone is brought up with money and went to a minor public school, they won't become working class, even if they end up spending the rest of their lives working on building sites, at least not in my eyes.

Comment

Aren't middle class supposed to be people who don't have to get up everyday and work for a living?
                According to some of the free market cunts that worship Thatcher on the rugby sites I look in on, that makes you a benefits scrounger.

Comment

I think I was born working class but through educational attainment and marriage I have got into the Middle Classes.

Dad: un/semi skilled worker on the river
                  Mum: un/semi skilled bookkeeper/secretary
                  Maternal grandfather: Copper then car salesman
                  Paternal grandfather: Millwright

Me: Red-brick university education, after single sex comprehensive, with professional qualifications. I pay towards my wife's property, I am an employee.

My parents bought their council house, it took them 20/25 years to pay for it. They have moved once since then to just outside the suburbs, when my dad retires as an employee (he got his 35 year award last year) he might set up his own one mand band decorating company.

Comment

Working...
                  X