Piling on the misery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piling on the misery

Earlier today, after a slight domestic, I was sat in Dulwich Park feeling sorry for myself. It was the day of the Dulwich Fair, where loads of Borough Market types congregate to eat humus, buy ponchos made from organic llama, and talk about house prices. It was, it has to be said, not a patch on the Grantham fair, where pissed up travellers battle endlessly with pissed up locals. Though the falconry display was good. And I was almost charmed by the local school choir. Almost.

But feeling down, I avoided all these irritants and went and sat on my own on the far side of the pond. I sat quietly reflecting on my life and situation, and watched a one-legged pigeon struggle to survive among his bipedal comrades. I was, I thought, a marvellous metaphor for my current existence. Unable to move freely, to support itself, to provide itself with food even. Just totally emasculated and reliant on the stale bread handouts of strangers. I allowed myself to slip in to the most magnificent pit of self-pity you could imagine. One so deep even the most pathetic Scouse caricature would have forgone the book of condolence and told me to pull myself together. Before robbing my wallet and stabbing me with a Stanley knife.

For a while I thought (rather preposterously it has to be said: my problems pale in to insignificance when compared to those of others in this house, even) things could get no worse. Until, all of a sudden, the unmistakable strains of the local school choir singing 'Blue Moon' drifted across the pond.

"Bastard!" I yelled with bitter, impotent rage to the heavens, so loudly that a father nearly pushed his young, bike riding son in to the pond. "Kick a man when he's down, why don't you?"

At that exact moment, with me staring wide-eyed to the sky, it began to piss it down.

"Twat!" I yelled again, before trudging home.

Piling on the misery

Sort yourself out, Love.

Comment

Piling on the misery

You misery is our joy, EIM, if it serves to produce such excellent posts such as that.

But what is wrong with "Blue Moon"?

Comment

Piling on the misery

Man City sing it.

Comment

Piling on the misery

To indicate their rhythm of good seasons?

Comment

Piling on the misery

If it cheers you up any EIM, Ive just put my washing on and 5 minutes later realised that I forgot to take my ciggies and lighter out of the side pocket of my shorts.

So not only have I lost pretty much a full packet but all my clothes will be covered in the bloody stuff.

Comment

Piling on the misery

As good a reason as any to eschew the evil weed.

Comment

Piling on the misery

Yeah, I'm just thinking that now. Ive had clothes stinking of tabacco before I've washed them, but never afterwards. I'll have to see what state they are in when the wash finishes.

Comment

Piling on the misery

I have to say, too, there is something just wrong about shorts and fags. They don't go together, not at all.

Comment

Piling on the misery

I love the version of 'Blue Moon' they play before Ricky Hatton fights. It starts out as the mellow original with everyone singing along and then, when he jumps into the ring and starts shadow boxing, it morphs into a mental speeded-up hardcore version.

EDIT: Ricky to win by stoppage in the 9th on Saturday.

Comment

Piling on the misery

I think I own that version. I say I think as, as you can imagine, I've not played i very often.

Comment

Piling on the misery

Why don't you like Man City?

(I mean, personally, I can't bring myself to hate Everton in the same way a Liverpudlian can. Because I'm a Liverpool supporter, not a plastic scouser.)

Comment

Piling on the misery

Yeah, I was talking about that with my brother: neither of us really hates Sunderland, and indeed we're both aware, at some level, of kind of vaguely wishing Roy Keane well.

I think you probably need a history of playground punch-ups with rival fans, and all that kind of stuff, to properly get into a local rivalry.

Comment

Piling on the misery

When I was about 10, I used to have a Man city poster on my wall, because they were a Manchester team, and that was good enough for me.

But you know. Since then, having gone to matches, mixed with their fans, immersed myself in the rotting, stinking hulk we call 'football culture' over here, I have decided in my own mind that I fucking hate them, their fans are all idiots, and if they weren't so consistently pathetic and hilarious, they'd be even more poisonous and bitter than they already are.

If, however, I'd had no contact with them whatsoever, I probably wouldn't have a problem with them.

Same with Leeds. I hated Leeds long before I knew I was 'meant' to due to my experiences of Leeds fans. Of course, they knew of the rivalry and that coloured the way they treated me. Self fulfilling circle and all that. I suppose 1991/92 played a large part in it as well.

Comment

Piling on the misery

IMP's friend who wrote the scholarly book on the history or airline flight attendants is a Man City fan and he's not an idiot. And I once met a guy who was in the US on some kind of study abroad thing who supported them, and he was very nice and not an idiot. So there's two for you.

Comment

Piling on the misery

As is Tony C, dglh, and errrr, well, ermmm...

No you see, they tend to be alright people. Certainly as far as people can be alright. But when you try and engage them in any sort of discussion about Manchester United, and indeed football in a wider context, they suffer from brain freeze. No more or less than Manchester United fans, of course, but that's less noticeable to me.

These are gross generalisations, of course. But that's what football is built on.

Comment

Piling on the misery

Of course, we don't regard Tony C as a Man City fan here. I mean, he is and all that, but that doesn't influence what we think about him.

Comment

Piling on the misery

What you need Villain is a small manbag so that when you hang around in shorts, you don't bulk up your pockets with stuff. Just shove fags, lighter, mobile, sunglasses in it and it probably won't end up in the wash. Tissues are my particular weakness when I do a wash, absolute pain that lot when they disintegrate..

Comment

Piling on the misery

manbag............ ugh.

The damage wasnt too bad and the side pocket aborbed just about all of it.

Comment

Piling on the misery

TonTon wrote:
                                        I have to say, too, there is something just wrong about shorts and fags. They don't go together, not at all.
                                        I do hope you mean cigarettes!

Comment

Piling on the misery

No, The Gays shouldn't wear shorts either. A well-cut trouser, elegant but with a dash of joi de vivre, is what's called for. Make your watchword "What would Oscar do?"

Comment

Piling on the misery

What you need Villain is a small manbag so that when you hang around in shorts, you don't bulk up your pockets with stuff. Just shove fags, lighter, mobile, sunglasses in it and it probably won't end up in the wash. Tissues are my particular weakness when I do a wash, absolute pain that lot when they disintegrate..
                                            What you need is some sort of vessel kept by the front door of your place - in my case it's an antique fishing creel, hanging from the door of my apartment. Everytime you walk in the door, you empty the contents of your pockets - wallet, keys, phone, sunglasses -into it and when you leave, you fill up with what you need. After a while this becomes a habit and you'll never forget stuff.

Also, I wear fairly baggy pants with big pockets.

Comment

Piling on the misery

Cute boys should wear shorts. It, sadly, makes no odds to me if they're gay or straight.

Anyone over about 25 needs a bloody good reason.

Comment

Piling on the misery

Well when I called them shorts I was probably wrong. They are sort of knee lenght combats with normal pockets and side pockets further down. I was in the later the cigs were.

I dont normally do dozy stuff like leaving stuff in pockets but I thing I'm coming down with something. I have a swelling on my throat between the Adams apple and the chin on the left hand side and a bad headache and feel feverish. Its been coming on all day.

I'd call in sick tomorrow but I quit my job last Friday.

Comment

Piling on the misery

Anyone over about 25 needs a bloody good reason.
                                                  Climate?

But, what villain said: are we talking those cargo-type trousers that go down to below the knee, or are we talking Brazil '82 here?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X