Rotten Apple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotten Apple

Somebody made a good point about how disastrous things might have been had Jobs, not Gates, "won" the Apple vs Windows fight. Well, fuck Jobs and fuck Apple.

Today I phoned the local Apple dealer with a view to buy a nice new Mac for the office. Sure, the nice lady said, what programmes to you want to run. Well, Photoshop CS2 for one.

Whoa there, said Apple lady (let's call her Fiona). CS2 won't work with the latest OS named after a predatory cat. You'll have to upgrade to Photoshop CS3.

Gee whizz, said I, so I don't suppose the latest OS would support Classic, the parallell operating system we had to purchase to run older programmes that wouldn't work on OS X. Fiona confirmed my suspicion. But being the practical type, I cheerfully suggested that an earlier version of predatory cat might be installed on my prospective spanking new Apple Mac. Alas, no can do, Fiona said. The computer would explode, or something.

So I won't buy a new computer if I also will need to upgrade all my software.

And if I'm still here when the three-year-old eMacs give up the ghost, I'll chuck the Macs and switch over to Windows because, evil as Microsoft is, they don't take the piss as much as Mac.

Rotten Apple

Heh.
    My father in law bought a nice used Macbook with System X (for $269-ish) to take to Florida with them for email and netbanking and such. He then bought my mum in law an 8 gig Touch. But to run the Touch, he had to spend $129 to upgrade to the next level of X (to support it in iTunes), which is a DVD-only load and the Macbook doesn't have a DVD. So he'd have to have them load it with an external DVD, which they wanted $39 to do.
    What a nightmare.

Comment

Rotten Apple

I'm running CS2 on Leopard.

Comment

Rotten Apple

Yep, me too. CS2 works fine on Leopard.

Comment

Rotten Apple

I think the Apple dealer was probably covering her ass. It is true that Apple doesn't support CS2 on Leopard but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Comment

Rotten Apple

Well, the ass-covering might have cost her a bit of commission. Mind, if what she says about Leopard not being compatible with Classic (OS 9), then I wouldn't buy a new Mac either.

Comment

Working...
            X