Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amor de Cosmos in London (1968 and all that)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It falls to me to organise this. He is very keen to make it to the Hayward Gallery for the 1968 show, as we discussed a while ago, and very keen to have an OFTathon. If possible, these could be combined. Late night opening for the Hayward is on Friday.

Can anyone make that? And is there anyone who can't but would like a drink on another day.

I expect Lyra will.

an OFTathon

An intriguing idea, where we have to make sure that no pub or beer has a monopoly, and we're not giving the Saudis billions of quid in bribes?

Comment

Put me down as an enthusiastic 'maybe' (i.e. I'll definitely make it if work allows).

Edit: which Friday are you talking about?

Comment

Yes, which Friday are you talking about?

Comment

I think he means next Friday.

I like how that Hayward May 1968 exhibition is sponsored by the International Herald Tribune. If there's one publication whose values I'd associate with the extraordinary upheaval and radical ferment of that time, it would be the IHT's hacked out neoconservative bile aimed at bored business travellers in the Club Class lounge.

Comment

Well, it wasn't always that uncool . . .

I would love (in a Keeganesque sense) to be able to join you guys for this, but it just ain't happening. Enjoy.

Comment

Yeah, me too.

I'm off on holiday for a week beginning tonight, so I'll miss Amor unfortunately, but if anyone fancies a reprise a week or two later I'll be up for it.

Comment

It is indeed next Friday.

Ursus has gone to 1,000 posts quicker than Graeme Hick. It's still the middle of May.

Comment

I expect Lyra will.
                  Are you suggesting I am some kind of sad drunk. Well, I can't really argue.

I'm going to Italy next week though.

Comment

Despite my juvenile OFT joke, I'd love to come along to this (assuming I'm not painting or plastering or something, which seems to take up most of my time these days).

Comment

Not surprised, the size of that flat you live in.

In fact, I reckon you might have overtaken Twilight Johnny Atom as the OTFer with the best flat. To be fair, I haven't seen his new place yet.

Lyra, you like going out for drinks but you aren't a drunk. If you were, you'd have been in that gay bar with E10, Matt P, Taylor and I, talking to the girl in the Pimlico Plumbers shirt.

Comment

I do like going out for drinks. This is very true and I shall be sad to miss this. Are you going to BSL tomorrow Tubbs? I need recommendations for things to do in Florence.

Comment

Carissima, there is a useful thread from the old board here. And some art recommendations here (including the next couple of pages).

If you get there by Saturday, you can hear Spangles give a fascinating paper and try to get people to take you to the very fine (but not stuck up) Fiesole restaurant I recommended on her blog.

And it goes without saying that I would be honoured to share your company should you deign to visit Milano.

Comment

Grazie mille!

I am actually going on Monday and will only be there till Wednesday, then going on to my friend's parents' house which is nearish to Ancona to stay with her for a bit. What a shame, I'd love to see Spangles. Should I ever be lucky enough to get the chance to visit Milan, that would be wonderful, too, but I guess I can't this time.

Comment

Ah, the Marche are beautiful this time of year; I'm quite jealous.

I wouldn't put Milan in top ten Italian cities from a touristic point of view, but it does have its charms and can be a useful base for seeing more interesting places.

In any event, you should definitely go to Fiesole, because it has a very underappreciated Classical museum and the one of the best preserved Roman theatres north of Rome. Some photos here.. The restaurant (I Polpi) is up the road from the entrance to the archeological site on the left. The chef is female, which is quite rare here, and I'm sure that she would be more than happy to make something meatless for you.

Comment

Ah, I've got crossed wires with Amor. He won't be around on the Friday either. Plan now for a drinking -thon only on Tuesday night.

Is this better?

Lyra, re Florence, I recommend the Cathedral works museum as a tranquil place with loads of good stuff. Uffizi needs an advanced ticket but don't be put off. They do a good job regulating the crowds in there.

Comment

Oh man, I clicked on this thread really hoping it would contain photos of Amor de Cosmos, in all his 60s glory. (Let me explain - I just loved that photo of him from the early 70s that he posted once)

Comment

I've been instructed by Tubbs to bump this thread back to the top, so consider it bumped.

Hopefully I'll be around for some sort of 'thon too

Comment

Thamks so much ursus and tubbs. That's twice now I've heard about Vivoli gelati. And Fiesole is definitely what I want to do.

I shall be taking my revolting, painful, relentless cough with me. Those lucky Italians.

Hope Tuesday is fun.

Comment

So no trip to the Hayward, then?

Comment

Hang on, it's Tuesday as in tomorrow? If so, I can't make it cos I'll be seeing Jerry Sadowitz in Brighton. Damn. (If it's Tuesday 27th, however, we're in business.)

Comment

Tomorrow? Gah! I might be able to come, but probably not with my full drinking head on (which may be for the best, I suppose).

Why no Hayward? I was actually going to suggest the Concrete bar at The Hayward itself. Has anyone experienced this place yet and if so how was it? Reasonable prices etc? It seems like it might have interesting beers (as interesting as lager gets, anyway!) and it has a late licence on Fridays (1am). I just thought it might be convenient if Amor's (and Tubby's?) Hayward trip was still on ...and it might be a worthwhile change of venue type for a 'thon? Of course, if the Hayward visit is off, then it's all a moot point, I guess.

Comment

Sorry all; I forgot to flag the exhibition up (as I promised I would on the old board). I went a couple of weeks ago. It's great, but by no means comprehensive. It's in a very smalll space above the Hayward Gallery, called the Hayward Workshop. It features the posters done by the Atelier Populaire (the workshop set up by students and teachers from the School of Fine Arts). But (as far as I could tell) there was none of the classic Situationist International stuff: society is a man-eating flower; be reasonable, demand the impossible; underneath the pavement, the beach; all of that stuff. Definitely worth a look, but a little bit disappointing.

Comment

Thanks, E10.

The Hayward only seemed to be open late on Fridays which are no good for Amor de Cosmos. A separate trip there though would be a good idea.

I have to phone him tonight with a venue for drinks tomorrow. So I'm going to suggest The Lamb (in Lamb Conduit Street). He needs to be able to get back to Kings Cross easily, from 6pm onwards.

So far I've got E10, me and YATR. Anyone else?

Comment

If I arrive, it means the young lady whose postponement enabled me to meet a bunch of you on Thursday has postponed again, and I should probably take a hint...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X