short version

longer version

wikileaks video of US gunship massacre

Jesus Christ.

May God have mercy on their souls.

Comment

the longer version is worth watching.

in it you can watch the 22 year old photographer saeed try to crawl away. the apache keeps him in the crosshairs, circling, but saeed is too badly wounded to move more than a few feet. then a couple of people arrive to help him and put him in the van. the helicopter crews get very agitated and repeatedly demand permission to engage, which they get just in time. it's shocking to see how callously they stalk and kill a wounded man who is plainly no threat to anybody.

Comment

There's not really anything to say about that, is there?

Comment

The hole gets deeper with every new dawn doesnt it?
          I hope Blair and Brown are made to watch this. Especially with an election defeat being announced tomorrow.

Comment

Jesus.

Comment

It's amazing how all of that incredibly hi-tech video equipment is capable of making just about any domestic appliance look like a sophisticated anti aircraft weapon.

Comment

Saw this earlier today. Word fail to express what you see.

Comment

I think there are a few things that could be said.

It's great that Reuters was able to FOIA the video. So that's something.

In most of these cases, usually portrayed as some dumb scared 18-year-old Marine who has to make a split second decision and then discovers the guy wasn't holding a gun. But in this case, multiple people, at least one of which should have known better, had several minutes to analyze the images and think through the ramifications of both a "false positive" and a "false negative," so to speak. And they still got it horribly wrong. Plenty of blame to go around up and down the chain of command, but most of it should fall at the very top because they set the attitude that says "it doesn't matter if you kill a few journalists. Error on the side of killing more brown people than fewer."

It's not surprising that the Army's own investigation didn't see a problem with the shootings. Doing those investigations must be the shittest job in the Army. You chose between telling the truth and probably getting drummed out of the Army for it and knowing that it won't make any difference anyway, or just telling the Army what they want to hear and heading off to the officers club to drink away your guilt.

The comments on that youtube page are predictable. The saddest thing about war is that we collectively never learn what we should from it.

Comment

I'm kind of suprised that the USAF is flying around iraq with helicopter gunships with ROE that allow them shoot anyone walking around carrying a weapon, given that I thought everyone in iraq had a weapon.

Comment

Yeah, that doesn't make a lot of sense from any perspective, does it?

Comment

Somewhere on the internet a member of the NRA is making a similar point, but moving the apache from baghdad to arkansas or georgia or texas or somewhere equally implausible

Comment

The depressing thing is that this is already a "controversial" video, i.e. the media will treat this with kid gloves. Reaction to this will fall along tribal lines as usual, i.e. Democrat or Republican so the media will pull its punches, scared to "score" the controversy. People predisposed to support the war will say that the soldiers were just doing their job and clearly, we can do anything we want to insurgents. Were they insurgents? That will never be questioned.

Comment

Reed of the Valley People wrote:
                            It's great that Reuters was able to FOIA the video. So that's something.
                            That's not what happened. Wikileaks obtained the video from inside military whisteblower sources, and had to break an encryption code.

Comment

? I thought the video said that Reuters FOIA'd it. How else would anyone even know of its existence?

Comment

They might have requested it, but the video was not released under FOIA. The military has confirmed its accuracy, though.

Comment

Well, then, good job to the whistleblower who leaked it, I guess. I wonder if the Army will try to say that it's treason and that they've leaked classified information that compromises national security. I'm sure that's what conservatives will argue, as if that's even the fucking point.

Comment

It's a miracle how few suicide bombers there are when you see this, and know there's so many more we've not seen where the people being 'engaged' are just ordinary Iraqis, or Palestinians, or Afghans.

Comment

That's really hard to watch.

What year did this take place? Does anyone know? Was it before or after Petraeus took command?

Comment

'07.

Comment

Antonio Gramsci wrote:
                                          That's really hard to watch.

What year did this take place? Does anyone know? Was it before or after Petraeus took command?
                                          July 07 - I think Petraeus took over in spring 07 so it was on his watch.

This site has most information including copies of the US forces rules of engagement for the time and other documents.

An alternative to the frustration and anger being expressed would be to contribute to Wikileaks so that they can continue to expose such actions.

Comment

If you're like me and in a place you can't be watching videos, here's the Guardian's description of what's going on.

After reading it I'm not sure I want to watch it, but I will.

Comment

Just forced myself to watch this.

This is nightmarish stuff. It's very upsetting. I'm stating the obvious, but...

Comment

No words, really, are there?

Comment

This story was all the way up on Page 13 of the New York Times today.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X