the missus got run over this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the bottom of the road, on her way to the bus stop. It wasn't serious, like. I think she just got nudged, but anyway, she fell over, banged her knee, vomited, came home, cried for a bit, then went to work.

Which is stupid as anything, isn't it? I'd have milked that situation for all it was worth. I'd possibly still be lying in the middle of the road, cordoned off by police, paramedics and air ambulance.

I certainly, assuming I had a job obv, wouldn't have gone in to fucking work.

She needs Lionel Hutz.

Comment

Shit, EIM. Very glad to hear that she's ok, but she really should see a doctor to make sure that she really is.

As it happens, I almost got it by a c*nt in a SUV at lunch yesterday, who chose to round a blind curve at a very narrow intersection at over 50kmh and had to slam on his brakes when he finally saw me in the middle of the zebra crossing.

Comment

I'm glad she's okay too, but I agree with you about not going to work. If that had happened to me, I would have had the FDNY put me in the back of one of their ambulances and take me to Bellevue to be checked out. That's good for at least one day off work and loads of sympathy.

Comment

Is it just me or is ursus saying cunt a lot more than usual? It's a development I'm wholeheartedly in favour of, by the way.

Comment

I think she's being unnecessarily brave, perhaps verging on stupid. And for no real reason, either. She's not impressing anyone.

I've never been run over, which is amazing considering how little attention I pay to stuff.

Comment

It's a development I'm wholeheartedly in favour of, by the way.

I'm not. I may have used the word at least three times on the board already today (albeit in the most extreme and special of circumstances) but I don't see any reason at all to welcome its increased usage.

Comment

Because its a great cunting word for use in all social ocassions.

Comment

Yeah, swearing makes you look cool!

Comment

Surely the thread litle you're looking for is My wife has been feeling a little run down lately

Comment

It devalues insults generally - see also f*ck. What kind of impact can you expect to have if the recipient is already numbed by overexposure.

Use 'cowpat' instead.

Comment

I got run over once. Three stitches in my head where I hit the tarmac having cartwheeled through the air, but only very minor bruising on my hip where the car actually hit me.

I had a week off school.

Comment

Yeah, swearing makes you look cool!
                          Nearly. Swearing is big and clever, is how I would have phrased it.

Comment

EIM:

I hope Mrs Inner Monologue is okay - short- and long-term. The fact that she threw up and cried means she was almost certainly in shock, so the decision to go to work may also have been made in that post-shock 'not-very-good-at-making-decisions' state. Best not to do anything, really, when like that. Hopefully, though, she'll feel a bit better (and litigiously so) when she gets home tonight.

Comment

Litigiously so? How do you know who was at fault?

Comment

I've never been run over, which is amazing considering how little attention I pay to stuff.
                                I keep fucking trying, but it's like you have a guardian angel.

A friend of mine cycled into a stationary car at about 25 - 30 miles per hour, which is like being hit by a car, only a hell of a lot funnier for the rest of us.

Hope the lady is well EIM. Make her a nice cup of tea when she gets home.

Comment

Hof:

I don't, but it's worth looking into, isn't it?

Comment

hobbes wrote:
                                    A friend of mine cycled into a stationary car at about 25 - 30 miles per hour, which is like being hit by a car, only a hell of a lot funnier for the rest of us.
                                    When I was young, a kid on his way to the school at the end of the road did that, riding into the front of my brother's car that was parked outside on the road. However, this kid managed the spectacular feat of giving himself a pierced eyebrow on the broken front aerial as he (almost) slammed onto the bonnet! Yep - the aerial went in through the underside of his eyebrow and out through the top. Obviously it was nasty and although he managed to remove himself pretty quickly (again, almost certainly in shock) if it had been a few mm further in, it could have blinded him, so it was obviously a very lucky escape.

That kind of thing makes my legs go weak, y'know, even though I'm sitting down!

Comment

Bummer. She shouldn't have gone to work, unless she has the sort of job where you don't get paid if you take a sick day.

In general, in litigation over a car vs. human interaction, the odds of winning the suit are stacked in favor of the pedestrian. In the US, at least. I think. OTF's legal department can tell you more, I suppose.

She needs to call Edgar Snyder. You don't pay unless he gets money for YOU!!

Comment

Reed- many employees in Britain qualify for only state sick pay, which kicks in after three days off sick.

Comment

By pure coincidence, I just finished writing about how I tried to run over some cars as a pedestrian earlier this week .

Comment

Three stitches in my head where I hit the tarmac having cartwheeled through the air, but only very minor bruising on my hip where the car actually hit me.
                                            I tried singing this sentence to "A Whiter Shade Of Pale". It almost worked.

Comment

AdBusters had an article a few years back about a movement of people who walk over cars as a means of protest. I think it was a Netherlands thing. They'd walk up and over the hood/bonnet/roof/boot/trunk leaving dents and prints and whatnot.

Comment

Working...
                                              X