Most damaging brand of the last decade?

Comment

Comment

No contest:

Comment

I saw her last night at the recording of QI that I went to. As funny as ever.

Jo Brand, that is.

Comment

How did you get tickets for that?

Comment

EAT.

Comment

Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Comment

Hofzinser wrote:
                      How did you get tickets for that?
                      A friend applied through the Beeb's website. It's well worth a trip.

Comment

I saw her last night at the recording of QI that I went to. As funny as ever.
                        Well, never mind. At least there were four other performers.

Comment

YATR: why?

Comment

Sunny Delight.

Think about it - when we were kids if a drink marketed itself as 'the great taste kids go for', with those original crappy adverts and was basically squash, it would have been told to fuck right off, instead of being the gateway drug to dairylea lunchables.

Comment

GY- Dunno. The sudden omnipresence of their branches, and the faintly totalitarian-imperative sound of the name just creeps me out a bit. I know nothing about the company apart from that.

Comment

It used to stand for "Excellence And Taste", which isn't much better. Now they're just another Pret-alike. I miss Benjy's; worse food but a lot cheaper.

Comment

Have Benjy's bitten the dust? Their caramel squares were the nicest food made by anyone ever.

Comment

Not liking the brand, sure (although I quite like them). But how has it been damaging?

Comment

I do rather like the soups they do in EAT and there's one just across the road from my office so it's tempting to go there all the time.

Comment

Tescos

They won't rest until they're running the world

Comment

GY- well, for starters, they've pretty effectively derailed this thread.

Comment

The cunning bastards.

Comment

Why is Nike blamed for all the evils in the world, while Reebok, Adidas and all the other companies who do roughly the same thing never get mentioned?

Are we all supposed to wear clunky ugly New Balance? (EIM to thread!)

Starbucks isn't actually so bad. I wish there weren't so damn many of them and the ambience inside is a bit grating, but at least they're "on the street" and they do the fair trade stuff and so forth. There are now more independent coffee shops around then there were pre-Starbucks. Starbucks essentially created the industry.

Wal-Mart is pretty nefarious. But they aren't a brand so much as a Devourer of Worlds.

Comment

Nike and Starbucks are lightning rods for hatred because they're highly visible, not because they're any worse.

Wal-Mart, however, is pure evil.

But for damaging brands, I'd vote Hummer for its normalizing effects on the culture of 'I'll drive a gas-guzzling vehicle because I can fucking afford to'. If I recall correctly, someone on the old board linked to an article about a kid in Liberal suburban New York who'd worked two jobs to buy his dream Hummer, only to have it repeatedly vandalized by his tweed-jacketed eco-neighbours. I felt bad for him...for a minute or two.

Comment

I hate Nike because they only make shoes for people with really thin feet. Plus they've royally, royally fucked up the England rugby shirt with their fuck awful cookie-cutter approach and that bastard Cornetto paint splash on the front.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X