How to get your old font back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In case anyone can't wait to get the old Verdana font back, here's an inelegant workaround. I've only tested this on IE6.

This only currently works on the individual messages in threads, not the forum pages. I can work on those if anyone's interested (wouldn't take too long I doubt).

1. Create a text file anywhere you like on your computer. Give it whatever name you'd like.

2. Open the text file and paste the following lines into it:

.msgtext,.msgtitle,.msgdate {
    font-family:expression((document.domain=="www.wsc.co.uk " )? "verdana" : "sans-serif" ) ! important;
    font-size:expression((document.domain=="www.wsc.co.uk" )? "11px" : "11px" ) ! important; }

3. Save the text file.

4. Rename the text file so that it ends with the suffix ".css" (replacing ".txt"). (You can still edit it using Notepad afterwards.)

5. Open IE. Select the Tools menu and the Internet Options menu option. When the dialog box appears, click the Accessibility button in the bottom right of the box.

6. When the Accessibility dialog box appears, under the User style sheet section check the box that says "Format documents using my style sheet," then click the Browse button and select the CSS file you created in steps 1-4.

7. Click OK and OK again. If the page doesn't look any different, reload it. The new typeface and size should now be present.

You can change the typeface and size to whatever you'd like by replacing "verdana" and the first "11px" in the lines above with your own choices. You do need to uncheck the box and save, then check it again and save for the change to be applied though.

we are going to try and fix this soon but if you really want to go all that trouble...

Comment

Hosanna.

I owe you a couple of pints (and I was one of the c*nts who didn't throw up on the serifs in beta).

Comment

Genius! It worked! Thanks, Crusoe.

Comment

Sorry doug - didn't realise a change was in the pipeline. It's a quiet day at work today.

Comment

I feel like I've just recovered from a hangover and a migraine.

Comment

Cool. Someone in London buy that man a pint!

Comment

I think I'm in love with Doug.

Comment

Wow. Is there a fix for Firefox too(yeah I know there's always one...)?

Comment

Bill - yes.

Somewhere on your computer is a file called userContent.css or, if you've never edited it before, it may be called userContent-example.css. You'll have to search for it as I'm at work and don't have access to Firefox.

You need to put the following lines in this file and save it:

@-moz-document domain("www.wsc.co.uk" ) {
                    .msgtext,.msgtitle,.msgdate {
                    font-family: verdana ! important; font-size: 11px ! important; } }

Then save it and I think it's automatically applied when you visit the website (you may need to refresh if you're already there).

(Note - if it's called userContent-example.css, once you've made those changes you should rename it to remove the -example bit.)

Comment

By the way, this is also similar to a very good way to strip out all of the ads and commercial content from those godawful PremiumTV football club websites (both in IE and Firefox).

Comment

Can I just say that I quite like this serif font.

Comment

Yes, I don't mind it at all. I don't actually use the stylesheet I posted above.

Comment

Cheers again Crusoe - you're a genius!

Comment

Crusoe wrote:
                              Yes, I don't mind it at all. I don't actually use the stylesheet I posted above.
                              Count me in as another person that doesn't see what's so horrible with this font. Then again, I can't identify a typeface by look, so I'm a philistine.

Comment

Working...
                              X