Smartphone question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smartphone question

I've decided to join the 21st century and get a smartphone, specifically I wanted one which I could surf the web on and wasn't astronomically expensive, in other words, no I can't afford an iphone.

I was seduced by a Blackberry 8520 but, despite loving the design and interface, I took it home and have realised it's a bit rubbish for web surfing. I did a bit of research on this and I've found out that it's not a 3g phone.

I'm assuming this is the reason it's a bit clumsy and slow when surfing the net. Can anyone confirm this?

Now all I have to do is try to wriggle out of my 24 month contract, which I signed 2 days ago, and get me a 3g smartphone instead. Wish me luck!

Smartphone question

Apparently the Nokia N-what'sitsface is very good. The one with the slidey-out keyboard. My brother got one just before he left for Australia. It also comes with built-in WiFi so you don't need to rely on your phone bill to keep you connected at all times.

I know nothing about surfing from my mobile though, I got a cheap one a year and a bit ago and although I wouldn't mind a nicer one now, I'm buggered if I'm spending any money on one to take to Argentina with me...

Comment

Smartphone question

The N900? Reviews are mixed. General opinion seems to be that it could be really good, it just isn't quite yet.

I've got the N97 and whilst not everyone likes it, I've found that by simply invalidating my warranty (by de-branding the phone and removing the Vodafone-crippled version of the firmware and replacing it with Nokia's far-improved version) usability and stability are much improved.

Having said that, everyone I know with an iPhone (and that's a fair few people) swears by them. Apparently the new HTC phone is very good too, as is the Palm Pre.

Comment

Smartphone question

N97 Toby, that's the one my brother's got too. I forgot about the HTC, one of my mates got one recently and was showing it to me when I was in Manchester a couple of weeks ago. Looks lovely.

Comment

Smartphone question

Jon, there's usually a 14 day cooling off period. You should be able to cancel your contract and try again.

Comment

Smartphone question

The Motorola Milestone (aka Droid in the U.S.) might be an option, albeit a rather expensive one at the moment, as it's only just been launched over here (Europe).

http://www.mobileburn.com/youtube_video2.jsp?Id=8683

Comment

Smartphone question

Jon, there's usually a 14 day cooling off period. You should be able to cancel your contract and try again.

Comment

Smartphone question

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
                Having said that, everyone I know with an iPhone (and that's a fair few people) swears by them. Apparently the new HTC phone is very good too, as is the Palm Pre.
                I had a go on the Pre. The phone was very nice, but the keyboard was horribly fiddly.

Comment

Smartphone question

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
                  Having said that, everyone I know with an iPhone (and that's a fair few people) swears by them.
                  ...except for our own GT3 who, having divested himself of his own, said words to the effect of "Until I owned one, I didn't realise how little I actually needed it".

Comment

Working...
                  X