How would you use a second vote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was leafing through a book in a pub the other day. It was very much in the "bright young libertarian solves all the problems in the world in 5 minutes" mould.

One interesting idea it did have- not a good one, interesting one- was that you had a second vote, which you could use in any constituency. The Whizzkid Author said the point was that people who gave their constituents outrageous bits of pork could be voted out by outsiders who subsidised it.

So how would you use your second vote? I'll vote in Buckingham for the speaker against that cunt Farage.

I'm not sure I understand in which constituency you'd be allowed to exercise this "second vote".

I mean wouldn't almost every Tory voter in the country just use it in Gordon Brown's, and almost every Labour voter in David Cameron's, just to knock them out of even being MPs let alone party leaders?

Comment

Yeah, that's why it's a bad idea. You spotted it in two seconds when the clever author didn't spot it at all. But, for the purpose of this thread, you can vote anywhere. Even against David Cameron. But there are brownie points for not using it there.

I might use my vote in Shipley actually. A marginal with a Tory MP, Philip Davies, in the Politcal Correctness Gone Mad mode.

Comment

Comment

I'd use it against Esther Rantzen, or any other egotistical "celebrity" standing for parliament purely for their own self promotion, and without the slightest concern for the people they are supposed to represent.

Comment

There's a very good case for people around Stevenage to be given the opportunity to consider the potential election of a third party candidate who would advocate and quickly implement the public boiling of the former MP.

Comment

I'd use it positively, to try and keep in parliament decent people with vulnerable majorities- yer Katy Clarks and John McDonnells and the like.

Comment

I think McDonnell might be OK.

Tony Benn would call leaving the Commons spending more time on politics. He rather overeggs this point.

Comment

McDonnell's vulnerable because of the Tories' pledge to scrap the Heathrow third runway, which is presently slated to carve the shit out of his constituency

Comment

The retiring MP for the next door constituency (the idiotic David Wilshire) was in favour of Heathrow expansion, I think.

It might not be a straight party issue.

Comment

I'd use it to vote for someone I agree with and support. There's no chance of any such person winning a seat anywhere, so I'd have to pick the one I like the most. Karen Reissman, in Manchester Gorton, maybe.

Comment

I know this isn't an answer to the question, but it was J.S. Mill wasn't it Tubby? What did you think of it?

I think I'm probably with E10 on the answer to the question posed.

Comment

I don't remember the bloke's name who wrote the book. If you mean the famous old JS Mill, it wasn't him.

You might get someone you support winning a seat, TonTon. If your lot can coordinate where they use the vote without other people cottoning on to block you, why not?

Comment

I'd spoil it.

Comment

There's really not that many of us, Tubbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X