Britain's Prettiest Streets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The area in Buckinghamshire around where we used to live boasts a rich vein of these picture postcard towns - Amersham, Beaconsfield, Gerrards Cross. The Chalfonts are particularly impressive.
    my hood. add bourne end, marlow, chesham, great missenden etc

Comment

Last night I DJed a few yards behind the photographer's left shoulder.
      in the road?

Comment

Gah, Rick beat me to the joke.

Dglh, thank you for the Edinburgh pictures. There are some nice photos on this thread. I feel we need to make an international version - is there already one?

Comment

I think Saltmarket in Glasgow is a really beautiful street along with the nearby St Andrew's Square. Neither has been gentrified so it is hard to find picture postcard images.

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/image.php?i=16802&r=2&t=4&x=1

This is Saltmarket in 1958 with all the industrial grime

Below is a more uptodate image from the opposite direction

http://www.railbrit.org.uk/images/14000/14237.jpg

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
            Grey Street must be there as some kind of joke. It's a reasonable enough example of Georgian civic architecture I suppose, but nothing outstanding, and the reality of the Grey Street experience usually involves marauding beer monsters and rivers of vomit.
            I don't see this as a joke, it is there on merit. Where is there a better Georgian street on the scale of Grey Street in the centre of a major city?

http://www.victorianweb.org/sculpture/baily/1b.jpg]

Comment

Glass Half Empty wrote:
              I don't see this as a joke, it is there on merit. Where is there a better Georgian street on the scale of Grey Street in the centre of a major city?

http://www.victorianweb.org/sculpture/baily/1b.jpg
              The dome at the top of the Central Arcade is lush, and Theatre Royal is imposing as a Greek-columned institution should be. The surrounding area tees it up nicely too, coherent urban planning that works well today. Maybe the traffic is off-putting, but it doesn't suffer the lack of bustle that some pedestrianised areas do.

Comment

Bournville, Birmingham.

You see the flat above the second shop from the right, with three large windows and one above it?

I used to rent that flat, along with three nurses. The three big windows were from our living room, we used to throw them open in the summer and listen to the world famous Bournville Carillon which was on the opposite side of the village green.

This was more or less the view from that living room window,

The carillon was just to the left of that photo.

It was in walking distance of Selly Oak Hospital where we all worked, an idyllic place to live.

Comment

rick derris wrote:
                  Last night I DJed a few yards behind the photographer's left shoulder.
                  in the road?
                  No.

Comment

Really? You'll have been keeping my brother and his family awake, I daresay: his house is visible in shot.

What venue? I'm struggling to think. (I'm assuming not the Castle, though how cool would that have been?)

Comment

The Constitutional Club (which was putting on an alternative 80s club/gig thing). Lovely building, reminded me of childhood trips to would-be classy hotel bars when the air still tasted of tobacco and the carpets smelt of decades' worth of whisky. Rotary Club plaques and stale peanuts. Couldn't have been more 1970s.

I have no idea where the Constitutional Club is coming from politically (although the painting of Winston Churchill on the wall is perhaps a clue), but I was relieved in any case, because the abbreviated version we were given beforehand - The Con Club - had me fearing something else entirely.

Comment

Not entirely something else entirely. From their website:

Q – But isn’t it a Conservative Club?
                        A – No it is not a political club. The Club is affiliated to the ACC (Association of Conservative Clubs) and subject to the rules of the FSA (Financial Services Authority) any members joining the Club do not have to be a member of the Conservative Party and member’s details will certainly not be passed onto the Conservative Association. But by joining the Club any member is expected not to do anything that may be derogatory to the Conservative Party.

Comment

Why on Earth... wrote:
                          Not entirely something else entirely. From their website:

Q – But isn’t it a Conservative Club?
                          A – No it is not a political club. The Club is affiliated to the ACC (Association of Conservative Clubs) and subject to the rules of the FSA (Financial Services Authority) any members joining the Club do not have to be a member of the Conservative Party and member’s details will certainly not be passed onto the Conservative Association. But by joining the Club any member is expected not to do anything that may be derogatory to the Conservative Party.
                          Hah! I really hope I didn't do anything "derogatory to the Conservative Party" while I was on the premises, but me being me, I can't rule it out. Maybe "Hard Times" by the League Unlimited Orchestra was a tacitly anti-Thatcher statement, I dunno. Then again, I'm not a member.

Comment

Working...
                          X