Spambots on your blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spambots on your blog

Apologies for the inadvertent Fun Lovin' Criminals soundalike title there, but at least there's no risk of anyone getting earworm from it.

I can't be the only blogger here who frequently gets spam posts which are seemingly generated by robots on my blog. One or two of them get through from time to time, and I have to delete them at the end of the day when I get online.

They seem to be getting more sophisticated, although the manner in which some of them give very backhanded compliments is something I find a little bizarre. But sometimes they're just downright odd.

Today I had one on the post I wrote following the Argentina vs Brazil match, which was six bleeding months ago, saying, 'I’m looking forward to the world cup, thanks for this info. I didnt know it was in Africa!'

Now for one, that's a bizarre thing for anyone with a passing interest in football to not know. My dad just managed to give me the correct answer to the question 'what continent is this year's World Cup being played in?', and after the opening match of Euro 2004 he turned round to me and asked 'so is that a shock, then?', and then asked the same question again after the final.

But the website that comment purports to be promoting is called 'Watch FIFA Live'. I mean, how on earth does its webmaster think that showing a staggering lack of awareness about something like the venue of the upcoming World Cup is a good way to promote his football site?

The actual site might of course be something much less savoury than a football site. I'm buggered if I'm doing him the satisfaction of clicking his link to check it out.

Spambots on your blog

The spam filter on my blog has blocked every attempt so far, but I've just had a look at what it's kept out. Best one came after a chapter from my PhD thesis, from a bot trying to drum up business for a roulette game:

"Sometimes it’s really that simple, isn’t it? I feel a little stupid for not thinking of this myself/earlier, though."

Which is just what I'd like people who read my thesis to think.

Comment

Spambots on your blog

There's always one I'm tempted to leave up in the hope that someone might respond with 'that seems like an odd thing to say...', but HEGS doesn't get enough comments for me to be confident that would happen.

I also get one almost every week talking about what an interesting opinion I've expressed, and every time I get that one, it's always on the Friday post in which I do no more than list the kick off times for the first division matches that weekend.

Comment

Spambots on your blog

I rarely have spam slipping through, but I'm always grateful for feedback that congratulates me on making a great point that the reader will fruitfully reflect upon ... to posts featuring the intros quiz.

Comment

Spambots on your blog

I find the spam filter on Wordpress to be pretty good, generally. However, the comments I get are so few that I have the luxury of approving them one by one.

Comment

Spambots on your blog

Wordpress lets nothing through unless I authorise it, and once a poster is authorised they stay that way. But the worst possible start to any day of mine is having to "mark as spam" the 80 or so messages clogging up our site.

We've been inundated with spam about virus checkers lately, I guess this is happening to everyone?

Comment

Spambots on your blog

I haven't noticed any virus checker ones. From glancing at the URLs the majority of mine would seem to involve ladies around my own age or younger who like to involve themselves in a state of undress in front of cameras attached their computers.

That and football gambling 'tipster' websites. And today, for the first time ever, one that appears to be selling 'electronic cigarettes', which (and I quote), 'are as good as they sound.'

Comment

Working...
              X