Here comes the science...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's name and shame those dubious pseudo-scientific ingredients you only ever hear about in adverts, usually for shampoos or yoghurts.

L Casei Imunitass
    Nutri-Ceramide
    Nutrileum
    Bifidus Regularis

Article about this sort of thing

Pentapeptides
    Pro-xylane (or proxy-lane, depending on which bit of the advert is correct)

Comment

Best bit about that article is the sponsored links at the bottom. "Hair Loss Treatment!!"

Comment

The best thing about shampoo adverts is that little cartoon they do of a hair being penetrated by the little balls of whatever-the-shampoo-contains. I mean, why wouldn't you buy it if it can do that?

Comment

Mind you, the day they invent something that actually really does reduce frizz, I'm there.

Comment

The one that really pisses me off: "Aqua".

Say it in Latin and maybe the gullible cunts won't realise that 95% of the contents of that jar or tube they've just spunked 48 quid on is fucking water.

Comment

Lactobacillus casei and Bifidus regularis are actual microorganisms, no? I'm not sure what the research says about their true effects on health, though. Also, Danone have tried to patent B. regularis, which is a bit cunty.

Comment

Purves Grundy wrote:
                The one that really pisses me off: "Aqua".
                ...which is French for 'water'.

Comment

I was reading an overview of probiotic yoghurt the other day.

They may have some value for things like diarrhoea and candidiasis. As for anything else, there's no good evidence.

Comment

Lactobacillus casei and Bifidus regularis are actual microorganisms, no? I'm not sure what the research says about their true effects on health, though. Also, Danone have tried to patent B. regularis, which is a bit cunty.
                    L. casei is used to make cheese. Bifidus regularis sounds a bit suspect — not in a pseudoscientific way; more like Danone have isolated or engineered a subspecies and given it a suitably appropriate name.

Comment

Omega 3 oil. Absolutely fuck all trial datato show it does anything it's claimed to.

Comment

Omega 3 oil. Absolutely fuck all trial data to show it does anything it's claimed to.
                        There is some data (although not conclusive) showing some beneficial cardiovascular effects.

However, nearly all the discussion around Omega-3 is that it makes you cleverer, which is indeed suspect.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure it does something. Most things do. It's the whole "brain food" crap that's all over the media and advertising that's utter bollocks.

Comment

BBC Four recently repeated a series of programs from 1990 on advertising called "Washes Whiter".

The "blinding with dubious science" shtick has been utilised for ages. I'm sure most of you already knew this, but I was amazed at the shit they used to (and still do) get away with.

Comment

A lot of questionable health products -- prevented from making any health claims due to lack of evidence -- claim to 'boost your immune system'.

From an immunological perspective, 'boosting your immune system' is of course bollocks. Unless they provoke massive inflammation and anaphylaxis.

Comment

I used to find the Daz challenge style adverts hilarious. Every time they brought out a new one, they had to make the old one look crap. The new one is all sparkly white, see, while the old one left stubborn stains. And then a year later, the old sparkly white powder was suddenly leaving stubborn stains again.

Comment

Yeah, it doesn't last long that Daz stuff.

Now, Ariel on the other hand...

Comment

I'd love to go round to Vanish HQ with my tablecloth that still has a bit of red wine stain remaining and force them to admit that their adverts are A PACK OF LIES.

Comment

Working...
                                    X