Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STOP RANDOMLY SIGNING ME OUT FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is all.

Me too. Thought it was just the shitty intranet at work but its happenin at home too.

Comment

it's very annoying especially when you have written something and then you lose the fucking then. Click the remember me box and it seems to work a bit better.

Comment

Yeah, I had the very same problem during the first couple of days of the new board but then someone suggested I tick the "Remember me" box and since I did that there's been no problem.

Comment

The move over is a fucking stupid move, which betrays a complete ignorance of how interweb communities work. A group of people decided to make something happen, and half-arsed it. It's textbook 101 how not to do this sort of thing.

I've had innumerable lost posts because I was logged in, then by the time I clicked submit, it had logged me out. Now, I'm sure you could blame my browser and all, but the only problem with the old site was that the clock was always wrong. That was it. Some took decisions away from us and used their naked power. Now, if you look at the, er ideological bent of WSC, isn't that a spectularly hypocritical gesture to make?

But as I look at the new, nice as it is, I notice no-one is commenting on editorial posts, fewer people post here, few new people are posting here than appeared on the old site and old posters have disappeared. Oops and all that. That'll be no targets met then. And it could all have been avoided. All of it.

I know loads of work was done on this, but for the main announcement to be 'we're going to do stuff and we're sure you like it' is just shit. It's like pay your increased ticket price, or buy your new shirt or any other bollocks WSC rails at quite rightly. And to betray the values that animate the mag is a fucking own goal of the highest order.

Comment

Yeah, but I'm the second most prolific poster. Behind Ursus. Which pretty much makes me most prolific, as Ursus is obviously a cabal of people. No one can post that much, with so much knowledge, on such a variety of topics, whilst holding down a high-powered job.

Without the move, I'd still be nowhere. So there is that to be grateful for.

Comment

While I'm not as wound up about it as NHH clearly is, I'd like to reiterate my much earlier comment that I'm not sure what the point of this new board is. What one thing does it do anywhere near as well as the old one? Is it just that it's more tightly integrated with the WSC site where the old one seemed quite stand-alone?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

So are we asking for our money back, or what?

Comment

Thank you, second most prolific poster.

Comment

That and the old board was constantly on the edge of implosion, and as far as I can tell required a lot of man hours (and presumably a fair chunk of server space) to maintain it. Costs for which WSC got a return of more or less nothing.

Comment

Quality rant from NHH.
                        So says the entire cabal.

I actually find the editorial posts to be quite good, but they aren't always the kind of thing that engenders comment, and (probably more importantly), one needs to go somewhat out of one's way to read them if one has the forum bookmarked instead of the site.

Comment

They are good. I've responded a couple of times. But it's reasonable to assume that the lack of comment is due to this forum being a far better place to sound off.

Comment

What editorial posts?

Comment

a) Click "remember".

b) Stop fucking whining. Jesus.

I prefer it quite a bit, acutally, after some getting used. I haven't been on as much as before, but that has far more to do with not being sat in front of an internet-enabled computer all day anymore than with the new board.

Comment

These editorial posts.

Comment

That and the old board was constantly on the edge of implosion, and as far as I can tell required a lot of man hours (and presumably a fair chunk of server space) to maintain it. Costs for which WSC got a return of more or less nothing.
                                  Ha! So, there was a problem which affected a group of people, and a tiny number decided on the solution.

I've seen plenty of communities which have had the same problem, and where that community have sorted it for themselves by either donations, or sign-up fees. It's not insurmountable, and if there were problems about the old board, then they could have been very easily sorted by this board. But then there was always the autocratic hidden hand of admins behind the old board and I suppose this is to some extent just a manifestation of.

Comment

Is there any topic on which you won't reach for the Dummies Guide to Das Kapital?

Comment

Why is it that people who reckon they're, like, clever, and that, wouldn't know Marx if he sat on their face?

Comment

That "tiny number", NHH, would be the people who are paying for this thing we take for granted. I think that entitles them to exercise certain prerogatives, such as changing the wallpaper. It's not like we are paying for this service, or are labouring in forced servitude.

Comment

One arsehole looks much like another.

(dyswidt?)

(by the way, both of these posts were meant to be jocular. I'm not *actually* calling anyone an arsehole. Well, okay, just Marx.)

Comment

a) Click "remember".
                                            I have clicked remember. I have also enabled cookies. I have also hacked into the keychain. But to no avail.

But hey, if you want a user base, you work to make it easy for them, not a fucking trial. Internet-community building fucking 101 lesson. The greater the barrier to participation, the less participation there will be. It's easy stuff.

Comment

Pan Tau wrote:
                                              That "tiny number", NHH, would be the people who are paying for this thing we take for granted. I think that entitles them to exercise certain prerogatives, such as changing the wallpaper. It's not like we are paying for this service, or are labouring in forced servitude.
                                              One way of doing this would be take the action taken. Another would be say - as has been done on many boards - it costs us x amount of money for server space and hosting. Can you, the people who benefit from this service, rally round and pay it?

The latter would have been more fitting of the tone of WSC. You say it entitled them to do what they want - but here we get to the sense of power and ownership.

Essentially, you're arguing that it's their gaff, their rules. It might be their right but if their right is based on an appeal to property, it puts them in strange company. For starters, it's what Keith Haslam says gives him the right to sell to mad dog Batchelor. What gives the right to Glazer to charge whatsoever he wants. And so on.

Now they're quite clearly not the Glazers, and I'm sure some new internet rule means I've lost the argument by invoking them. But the point holds that someone has asserted what most of us to be a common possession - as space to play - is actual private property. And maybe they should have asked if they

And more to the point, if your redesigned site has a goal of building a net community around it, then to display ignorance of how exactly interweb communities work, then that's just daft.

If you want the only part of a community online that you had associated with you to come along for the ride for the benefit of your mag, then it's well, doubly daft, let's say, to not consult with them and bring them with you as co-authors of a move which part of your business plan depends.

Comment

I agree that it's their gaff, their rules. And I've no problem with that. We're their guests here, in my opinion, whether we've been formally invited or not.
                                                My only complaint is that the board is so grossly inferior to the technology it replaced. Clock-complaints aside, the old board worked extremely well. Especially the 'side function' of Search and PM, both which severely suck raw ass on this new-fangled bit of kit.

The only comparison I can draw is the new MS Office. Bigger, fancier, pricier, and far more fucking difficult to use for its core purpose.

Comment

I would just like to pipe up in support of the new clock, though. It's important.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X