Hawaiian Pizza not popular in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I came across this little bit of knowledge while Googling 'pizza'. I was curious to know if pizzas actually originated in Italy or if they were invented somewhere else, like tacos and General Tso's chicken. And, okay, I was a little bored and not in the mood to Google former classmates' names.

Is any more proof needed that ham and pineapple on a pizza is an abomination?

Anyone who carries on eating this unnatural combination after reading this is guilty of gastronomic deviancy.

Hear, hear.

If a state that leads the US in Spam consumption (by a massive margin) can't bring itself to eat that stuff, why should it be allowed on menus in the rest of the country?

Comment

wasn't pineapple 'invented' in hawaii?

Comment

I always like a pineapple ring on a gammon steak. Go very nicely together, I've always thought. And I quite like a bit of grilled halloumi cheese, and maybe a couple of grilled tomatoes as well, alongside.

So combining the lot on a pizza base hardly strikes me as an "abomination".

Comment

Where's that ignore poster button when you need it?

UA - Seriously? I would have guessed Alabama or Mississippi before Hawaii. But I guess you can't roast an actual pig every day of the year, even in paradise.

Comment

Rogin manages to outdo derris in wrongness, which is a quite a feat.

Pineapple is indigenous to Latin America.

Comment

FF, Spam is huge in Hawaii, and it's part of the whole Hawaiian melange of ethnic cuisines, exemplified by Spam sushi.

Comment

Spam sushi?

Those are two words I never thought I would see paired up.

Comment

*wrong thread, sorry*

Comment

UA - So it's not just me accidentally clicking on Football instead of World?

Comment

Anyway, I just googled 'spam sushi' and this is what I found.

Comment

I happen to like "Hawaiian" Pizza.

I once had something in a Pizzeria in Central France that was called Pizza Tropicale, it's toppings were Ham, Pineapple AND Pear. I liked that too.

Comment

Spam is fucking amazing.

Comment

We got pineapple on our veggie pizza tonight, by mistake. Anyohe who profess to like that is a pervert...I do like pineapple actually and a curry readymeal I bought from M&S (Kashmiri chicken) was very nice (not sweet at all in fact). But on pizza...

Spam fritters rule

Comment

We've done this I don't know how many times now (god knows how many times before 2003, when I joined), but I stand up for Hawaiian pizza. As well as pineapple slices on burgers.

Spam seems to be popular not just with Hawaiians, but with a lot of older Japanese-Americans. My father-in-law likes Spam. He also likes to open up a tin of sardines, put some dashes of soy sauce on top, and then warm it up on the stove. Mrs. Inca says it smells like canned cat food when he does that.

Comment

I had spam fritters the other day - in a sarnie, natch - and they were thoroughly diappointing.

Comment

HANG THE FUCK ON

Did he just say pineapple in a fucking BURGER?

Comment

Yes, we have them in Wales too.

A few years ago I had a Cheese and Pineapple roll from a bakers in Caernarfon.

I've also had a Cheese, ham and Peach toastie in Betws-Y-Coed

Comment

How can you be disappointed by a spam fritter? What the fuck were you expecting?

I had them the other week with mash and beans, and I nearly shat myself with joy. It was one of those moments that I'll be able to recall in years to come. Like when Kennedy was shot (wasn't born), the moon landings were faked (ditto), 9/11 (Spot On pool hall in Grantham) and when I finally pulled Sophie Taylor (outside Gemma Holmes' house at an 18th birthday party. Sophie was later to puke in the gutter in an unrelated incident. I held her hair for her).

Comment

I dunno, somethnig nicer? I hadn't had one for many, many years, so I guess I built them up a bit too much in my head.

Comment

Did you make them yourself, or did you buy them pre-frittered?

Comment

I bought them - was that my mistake?

Comment

Yeah, possibly. The batter tends to be a little soggy. Make them yourself next time.

Comment

Roger that

Comment

There was a competition in MacDonald's many years ago where the pineapple burger (a slice of pineapple on a bun) was the runner up. The contest was to become a fixture on the menu. The winner? The Fillet o Fish.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X