So, Palma then...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Palma then...

Stag do is in Palma in march. We're going to be there Saturday-Monday during which we will be going along to see Real mallorca vs Athletico Madrid.
    But where else should we go? I've only been into Palma once before and it was completely dead it being a Sunday night in August.
    There will be 10 of us and we're all old, but it is a stag do, so good food, relaxed drinking establishments and places for dancing rather than historical sights please.

So, Palma then...

Buen viaje, senor. There's a Crusaders- Liverpool bodega in Palma, probably full of UVF veterans reminiscing about the 1976-77 European Cup (we held you to 0-2 at Anfield and then hit the bar in the return before valiant defeat).

Comment

So, Palma then...

Hmm. That sounds... lovely.

Comment

So, Palma then...

If you wanted a change of pace - ie a break from the non-stop boozing - you could catch a train through the mountains to Soller. It's a lovely, scenic journey on an old electric train. From there, it's a short tram ride down to Port Soller which is a charming little harbour town with loads of restaurants. It's probably a 3 hour round trip, which might be too long when you're just there for the weekend.

My only experience of Palma is a day I spent there a few years back, but from what I can remember, if you stick to the old town you can't go wrong.

Comment

So, Palma then...

Thanks Meregreen. I'm not sure I could pull off convincing them to stop drinking and sight-see for 3 hours.
          If I suggested a train-ride to them, I'll probably end up buried at sea.

Comment

So, Palma then...

Caves of Drach, man, Caves of Drach!

Comment

So, Palma then...

Like the others, I'm better at recommending trips away from Palma (Deia! Puig Mayor! Plus what the others have said!) than things to do in Palma. (Though I did once spend a memorable night there, sharing a bed with an expat white Kenyan man who'd lost his passport. All other rooms in town being full, you see. He'd assured me, as it turned out quite accurately, that he wasn't a "bloody poofter", but it was a nervous few hours for me all the same, young and lovely as I then was.)

But Palma is a genuinely nice town. I'd echo "Stick to the Old Town and you'll be fine." It's full of South American pickpockets, though, so watch out for that. Or at least it used to be.

All in all, Majorca is bloody brilliant.

Comment

So, Palma then...

Don't drink the water

Comment

So, Palma then...

"whose blonde sand gently caresses the cool blue lips of the Mediterranean..."

Comment

Working...
                  X