Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second hand bookshops

London specific for me, please.

The old board had a thread on this, but, etc etc etc...

Seems like the rental prices in Charing X Road have driven out an increasing number of shops, have any of them relocated elsewhere, or have their stocks been bought up by other bookshops? As far as I'm aware amongst the main second-hand shops now are:

Henry Pordes - Charing X Rd
    Skoob - Brunswick (Russell Square)
    Judd - Marchmont Street

I'm looking mainly for academic books, history primarily so other suggestions welcome.

Second hand bookshops

Bookmongers in Brixton is good.

Comment

Second hand bookshops

The university Waterstones on Gower Street has a lot of second hand and remainders, lots of academic stuff.

Comment

Second hand bookshops

Get yersen to Whitehaven...

Comment

Second hand bookshops

I work in Brixton but have not come across Bookmongers. I take it it's not on the high Rd?

Comment

Second hand bookshops

It's in coldharbour lane

Comment

Second hand bookshops

There was a reasonable one in the Elephant & Castle shopping centre, but I don't know if it's still there.

Comment

Second hand bookshops

It won't be any use at all for you for academic books (sorry) but when I lived in London, one of my favourite excursions of all was to head to Wood Street (Lane?) in Walthamstow, where about half a mile away from the station was the most fantastic second-hand sports bookshop I've ever found. It was like my study would be, if I could ever afford one day to buy every single Rothman's, Wisden and McCormack yearbook. I do now actually own all the McCormack ones (they're the golf equivalent of Wisden).

I hope it's still there - I used to spend an hour at a time in there leafing through old football programmes, before making a few perfunctory purchases, and I was normally the only customer.

For any serious second-hand book collector, of course, abe.books.com is the grand-daddy of all websites, if you're not already familiar with it.

Comment

Second hand bookshops

Hang on:

Is this 'second hand book shops' or ' second hand bookshops'?

Comment

Second hand bookshops

I think it's 'second handbook shops'.

Comment

Working...
                    X