If you build it, they will come ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serves 'em right for being called "Bargain Booze".

Fucking horrible name for a shop, especially as many of them aren't simply offies, but stock all the kind of convenience style stuff that the independent newsagents they took over used to. There's a chain of them all over the North West, in some quite nice areas too. Fulwood, where this one is, is largely made up of £300,000 detached houses - clearly not the sort of place, anymore, where you can expect your local newsagents to still be standing of a Sunday morning, but certainly the kind of place that, like Walton-le-Dale, or Whittle-le-Woods, deserves to have a better named establishment gracing its high street or village green than "Bargain Booze".

Don't town council planners have any say in this kind of thing? I remember some story about a council refusing to allow McDonald's to display its golden arches on a high street, so why are all the councils in Lancashire allowing a company with a name like "Bargain Booze" to take over the high streets?

I'm guessing that if they take over shops that were previously newsagents/off licences it's not a change in use and there's not much the council can do.

Comment

Bargain Booze is great, though.

Comment

Which reminds me, Rog did they ever catch the blokes who did an armed robbery at your local pub?

If I remember rightly all the local plod had to go off was descriptions of the faces and a car number plate.

Comment

There have been no fewer than five arrests so far, yeah.

Local news coverage has been surprisingly limited - I think it's one of those cases that, because a jury's going to be sowrn in, local papers have been asked to limit any real further coverage until after (or during) the trial.

Apparently one of the blokes they caught was found still hiding in nearby bushes about twelve hours after the police dog handler got shot - he must have been frozen, New Year's Day wasn't exactly like Acapulco in Lancashire.

Comment

£300,000 for a detached house? Bloody hell, are they slums or summat?

Comment

Comment

By an extraordinary coincidence, I bought a few beers from Bargain Booze (Hala branch) yesterday. It was the first time in ages I'd been to any of their marvellous outlets. Three for two on bottled beers (sorry, 'Cask-conditioned ales'), not bad eh. Although I only went because Booths was shut.

Comment

Hahaha Horn.

I remember going clubbing on new years eve in Stoke-on-Trent in 99 and picking up the local paper in the Hotel and looking at house prices and seeing 2 bed terrace houses foing for 15-20 grand and thinking i got ripped off for my semi i had recently bought in North-London.

You could get a two bed flat in my Endz for 200k overlooking brimsdown station and some factories.

Comment

Working...
                  X