Toronto question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toronto question

That's always been the approach in our family, but if I buy a condo, I don't want to have to do too much tearing and repairing because I have to live their while that's going on and in a small place that could be very hard or even unsafe.

Comment

Toronto question

To return to the original topic, sort of: If you like neighborhood names, we've got 'em out the wazoo.

Comment

Toronto question

What's the definition of small, Reed?

Yours,
        Manhattan.

Comment

Toronto question

I am just crabby at living in the mostly densely populated place I could imagine, and not having the money to get space beyond 300sq ft. For two of us.

Mind, they used to squeeze six in back in the day without a bathroom.

Comment

Toronto question

Los Angeles neighborhoods: I counted 162, and that's not counted smaller areas in neighborhoods.

Comment

Toronto question

That's really small for two people. How much worse does it have to get until New Yorkers admit that their city isn't livable?

My stuff seems to expand to fill whatever space it's in, so I figure that wherever I live, I could always use a little more. My current place is about 600 sq/ft.

Comment

Toronto question

The city isn't viable for a student and a person in publishing, for sure.

It might be a bit more than 300sq ft, but it certainly is a very small and puts a strain on things. But it also hopefully stops me going into unfathomable levels of debt over the next two years.

The idea is that by next fall I will be in a position that we can move somewhere bigger (read - earning money). I know a lot of people living in bigger apartments who are at school, we just wanted to avoid debt being a big issue.

But at $1300+ per square foot on buying on this island, it isn't fun to consider getting a place any time too soon.

12ft by 26ft or thereabouts. so maybe 350 at best. Bijou.

Comment

Toronto question

Is this the right place to say that pretty much every interior photograph I've seen of a Canadian property has shown the most frighteningly awful taste in interior decor?

Comment

Toronto question

(looks about living room...tugs nervously at collar...)

Comment

Toronto question

No offence, like. I'm sure your place is very different.

Comment

Toronto question

Oh, 'very different' doesn't quite begin to describe it.

Comment

Toronto question

Not that I've ever met you, TT, but you've never struck me as the kind of guy who looks at a lot of photos of housing interiors. Let alone made mental notes about which country the photos were from and coming to conclusions about national standards of decor.

Comment

Toronto question

hahahahaha. It's a fair point. I reckon friends who know me well would say the same, too.

I think I mentioned (though it may have been in "another place" rather than here) that while I was feeling fucking rotten last year, one of the weird ideas I got into my head was that I should leave the country.

Yer man WOM at some point posted some links to the Canadian estate agents site thingy. I've looked at hundreds, maybe thousands of photos of Canadian interiors. And yeah, usually I wouldn't notice, but they're so frighteningly awful, it's hard not to.

Comment

Toronto question

Ah. Yes, I remember you mentioning the emigration thing to me but hadn't realized you had got as far as actually checking out real estate.

We are cheap, utilitarian and functional when it comes to most things around architecture and design. Does it work? Will it keep us warm in winter? If yes, keep it. If not, knock it down/throw it out and get something new.

This is why most of our cities contain so much frighteningly ugly architecture.

Comment

Toronto question

I wouldn't have chandeliers down as particularly cheap, utilitarian or functional, meself. The overall impression is of fussy and cutesy, with the light fittings, the curtains, the wallpapers, everything really.

Comment

Toronto question

Well, see, in older homes in eastern Canada simple chandeliers were kind of de rigeur until the 50s. They still work, so we don't replace them. I have one in the room I'm sitting in right now. Never really thought about it until now, though.

Comment

Toronto question

Maybe that's it, all that horrible old stuff was fashionable once, many years ago, and people haven't replaced it.

The preponderance of wood floors rather than the hideous carpet thing is a big plus, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                    X