Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blimey, love, the West End? Not after dark...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was I the only one who'd assumed the bloke who closed the King's Road on Tuesday in a shootout with police was a homeless nutter, not a bloody barrister with a wife so posh she wanted to keep her own name?

Sorry to derail your thread, but what the fuck does "... a wife so posh she wanted to keep her own name" mean?

Comment

Yeah.

Comment

I agree that "Shootout in Chelsea" sounded pretty incongruous, incidentally. Shootout in where?

(Schoolboy error on the West End/West London confusion though.)

Comment

My wife kept her own name, and her Dad drove a school bus in Scarborough, Ontario, the upper class cunt.

Comment

Well, women wanting to keep the family name normally means they've either got a professional reputation in their own right that is dependant upon their name, or they're from a bloody posh family that couldn't give a stuff which little oik has married into Daddy's bloodline.

You're right, I shouldn't leap as to which side of that fence this widow (and, I realise, she must be grieving) is from.

Comment

My wife-to-be is keeping her own name and both her parents are working class Dubliners.

Comment

Well, women wanting to keep the family name normally means they've either got a professional reputation in their own right that is dependant upon their name, or they're from a bloody posh family that couldn't give a stuff which little oik has married into Daddy's bloodline.
                The whole feminism thing kind of passed you by, then?

Comment

Don't get me started on those revolting stuck-up bitches with their own professional reputations.

Comment

Not at all, and nor has it, presumably, the thousands of married women I've come across in the last twenty years who've still gladly "taken" their husband's name.

What's your fucking point?

Comment

What the fcuking hell are you boys doing allowing your wives to keep their own names? For christ sake grow some!

Rogin, Chelsea is miles from the West End.

Comment

I think his point is that this

is bollocks.

My wife kept her name because we're not aware of a good reason for her to change it.

Comment

I partly kept my name because of professional credits on stuff but really mostly because the new name would have sounded daft.

There you go. Stubborn adherence to the idea of a " professional reputation" AND bubble-headed vanity all in one.

Comment

See, I'd have thought my point was obvious: there are reasons other than snobbery or (worse!) a professional reputation why a woman might not want to take her husband's surname. I don't say those reasons are compelling, necessarily (my sister made the point that she'd only be keeping our Dad's surname if she didn't take her husband's, and our Dad is of course also a man), but it's bizarre to pretend they don't exist.

Comment

My wife kept her own name, and for neither of your reasons Rogin, but for the same reason as Mrs Horse's.

Comment

Actually this is (genuinely) the first time I've ever heard it suggested that women keeping their own name is related to class. Is it a common (mis)conception?

Comment

Yeah, but I said "normally". I'm talking from my own experience. I didn't say "only". As with all of these semantic arguments that you vultures like to hover over, you miss the fundamental, opening, point, and descend into SSS-level fundamentalism that makes one want to rip one's hair out.

The way to respond to someone saying, from his own experience, that "normally" something happens, if you feel that isn't the case, is to politely point that out, not just decide to have a fucking "let's rip this cunt to bits" fest. What are you like?

Comment

It's news to me that there are still women out there who change their name when they get married. I thought that this was the twenty-first century.

Comment

Oh, and btw, I know where fucking Chelsea is, I was trying (in the thread title) to parody the taxi driver who will refuse to take one to the East End after dark, but never mind.

Comment

My wife-to-be is also keeping her name for pretty much the same reason as Mrs. Horse.

Comment

Seriously, my missus took my surname (although she still hasn't changed everything (passport). I think she like the sound of mine and how it fit with hers. I think she liked the idea of it too.

If I were to hazard a guess women who kept the names (previously) were propably more likely to be big business than otherwise.

Comment

I din't think keeping one's own name was related to class either. To be quite honest, I think that changing one's name just because you get married is a bit daft anyway. ...A bit like the institution of marriage itself!

However, weighing this issue up against 'bloke gets so depressed he tries to off himself using cops, doesn't care if he takes out innocent people and leaves behind a wife to grieve/put her life back together', I think the latter probably takes precedence in the short term, really!

Comment

Actually, why wouldn't a woman change her name? Isn't it kind of part of the whole marriage process, of forming a family?

Or is marriage just a legal necessity?

Comment

And the next question, if you have children what should (and I use that word very loosely) their surname be?

Comment

OK. I politely think your hypothesis is bollocks, and I have never seen any evidence to back it up.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X