Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This can be a very depressing country sometimes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fucking hell. The rule of law is never going to be strong in Kerry, but this is stunning.

Surely there's something that story isn't telling us?

Comment

The only thing I get from the story is that the woman involved might have a reputation, which while it should have no bearing whatsoever on a sexual assault case, seems to have given other people in the small town reason to peddle the myth that she should have expected to be treated no other way. I hope the ground opens up and swallows the whole fucking town up.

Comment

One or two other outlets carrying the story hint at the idea that the group of supporting men were organized by the priest as a favour to the convicted man's mother. It seems it might not really have been a genuine, spontaneous show of support.

Comment

Well, that's my already shaky faith in human nature given another jolt. May those cunts burn in hell.

Comment

Jeez-o. That's fucked.

Comment

This is Grim

It should be pointed out that most people in listowel are absolutely horrified by this. The people who were supporting him are from castlegregory and are basically showing local or tribal loyalty, and believe what he said implicitly. What a dreadful dreadful situation

Comment

The priest is all over the shop, though. One minute he says he doesn't think the guy did it, and the next he says 'they were both drunk'; which, to me, means he recognizes that it happened, but it wasn't rape.

Or that she doesn't seem traumatized, and therefor the sentence was too harsh. Fuck me, he's an idiot.

Comment

And now he's gone (the priest).

Why I am not surprised that he had recently retired from a US diocese?

Comment

It's a wonder more sex offenders don't think to ask a Catholic Priest for a character reference.

Burn Listowel down and salt the fucking earth, I say.

Comment

Danny Foley (35), a nightclub bouncer, Meen, Listowel, was sentenced to seven years with the final two suspended
                      Can someone explain this? Over here, suspended sentences are not tacked on at the end of a custodial sentence to be served now. It would be activated if the offender offended again- you'd have thought that was unlikely in prison. Is it a kind of alternative to parole?

Comment

Working...
                      X