Unparliamentary language.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Irish budget debate has caused a certain amount of friction. Here we see one of the flakier members of the green party under pressure, Paul Gogarty. I suppose you could describe it as one mans idealism being crushed by crude realpolitik and responding badly to being poked with a stick.

That's lovely, really. He seems so sweet and child-like.

Also, I like the fact that the word "screwed" is apparently not considered unparliamentary.

Comment

Wanker.

Comment

Antonio Gramsci wrote:
        That's lovely, really. He seems so sweet and child-like.

Also, I like the fact that the word "screwed" is apparently not considered unparliamentary.
        Because it isn't?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/screwed

Comment

he's in a very sticky situation. He's the green td who's always kind of been against coalition and the opposition are standing up in the dail calling out wavering td's saying things like Independent TD Mr X is obviously in favour of cutting welfare payments to the blind, Green Party TD mr Y is in favour of cutting payments to carers etc.

Screwed wouldn't be considered unparliamentary language at all. We have an unbelievably high tolerance for swearing in this country, This is a country where old men go around calling random objects Cunts and mild ones like Screwed wouldn't even rate.

The Guy he's swearing at is Emmett Stagg, a Labour td from Kildare. When he was a junior minister in the 90's he was picked up cruising for rent boys in the phoenix park, and no-one really batted an eyelid, he didn't lose his job, he topped the poll the next time out. (this was at a time when homosexuality was only legal for less than a year)

This is a deeply strange and contradictory country at times.

Comment

Guy, When he's saying screwed, it's understood that he's using it in the "fucked" sense.

Comment

God, this country is such a fucking embarrassment.

Comment

The Mighty Kubelgog!!! wrote:
                Guy, When he's saying screwed, it's understood that he's using it in the "fucked" sense.
                Yeah?

Well when I use a word, it means what I want it to mean...

Comment

Oh, sod off.

Comment

Toro, which country were you talking about? The one you are from, or the one you live in?

Comment

They're currently one and the same, Ger.

Comment

sorry chuck, was just wondering. (Leeds, and Irish discourse, etc)

Comment

Interestingly, some of the more fundamentalist Tory bloggers in Britain are attacking Alastair Darling's pre-budget report for not being more like Ireland's manic austerity. If/when these smug little laptop warriors get their way, our country will be at least as embarrassing to be in as Toro's. I think I'd be on the streets if I lived over there at the moment (either protesting on them, or sleeping on them)

Comment

but your tax income is more than 60% of your expenditure. What we're doing is hopelessly destructive, but we've tried the alternative. throughout the seventies and eighties and it crucified us.

Our problem is that bertie and brian cowen increased public expenditure by 20% in both 2006 and 2007, giving a compound increase of 44%, just to win the 2007 election. Which interestingly enough is nearly the size of our current difficulties.

This is the second time in my lifetime that Fianna Fail have smashed the economy almost beyond repair in order to win power for themselves. I hope they're enjoying it.

Comment

Well when I use a word, it means what I want it to mean...

True, but er, you're not an irish parliamentarian in the midst of an embarassing public breakdown. He means it as fucked.

Comment

'He'?

So where is this 'He'?

Lots of offence like, but when I leave a country, I dont comment, cos, like, I aint there anymore.

But, you know, fair fucks. Double nationality, double endemnity. I bless it.

*edit I was going to post something sensible about the Irish middle class accepting the economy, as is, and then realising, whoops, we fucked it up, but I wont.

I know some people in Ireland, who are beginning to think of moving to the UK...

** and they have just told me to shut up, and stop typing... no, really, stop typing. NO, fucking do it, now, you fecker.

They dont want me to tell you that their version of middle class, means two houses, one not in Ireland.

ok, I am going to beat some sorry Irish ass.

Comment

Apparently "fuck you" is not actually among the phrases banned in the Irish Parliament.

I await Toro's election to the Dail so the unparliamentary language rule book can be given a really thorough stress test.

Comment

I'd be surprised that the bbc thinks they were the first social welfare cuts since 1924. I'd say that the reason they're not on the list is that they are taboo words, that no-one would ever dream of ever using in the parliament.

Comment

Working...
                                    X