Bhopal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bhopal

It is 25 years since the Bhopal disaster and in today's Guardian there is a massively affecting major article on it. I defy anyone to not be both moved and enraged by the tales of horror, incompetence and political apathy/suppression. You really have to get the paper version, though to see the full range of photos. They're astounding - in a bad way.

I'm not much of a political activist type, but when reading those tales of suffering and of how Union Carbide pretty much just walked away from the site afterwards, it makes me wish for some kind of mob justice to be visited upon their top - and middle - brass. The place is still poisonous as hell even now.

Bhopal

I read that article last night and you are absolutely right about the power of it.

Some incredible pictures, both recent and archive here.

Comment

Bhopal

I went through Bhopal last year. Even from the train you could tell what a ruined place it is.

I won't be getting the paper or reading the on-line version. That'd just be like being preached too when already converted. I'm simply grateful for the heads up that it's been 25 years without justice. Seems like only yesterday it happened. And tomorrow, nothing will have changed for the citizens of that blighted place.

Comment

Bhopal

gt3 wrote:
        I won't be getting the paper or reading the on-line version. That'd just be like being preached too when already converted.
        I know what you mean and I know that you can appreciate it in a way that others may not be able to, having been there, but seriously - that article is remarkable: the hidden facts, the first-hand accounts, the politics - it's just horrible.

I remember that we were outraged back in the day, when it happened, but the fact that it has so successfully been swept under the rug of corporate/governmental collusion in the meantime is surely one of the greatest - if not the greatest - of all corporate crimes against humanity since the second world war. It's unbelieveable.

(edit: It's one of those things that everyone should have to read, just to understand what crimes companies are capable of.)

Comment

Bhopal

And what exactly do you think your outrage will achieve Clive? And even if it is "...the greatest - of all corporate crimes against humanity since the second world war..." (and I probably agree, without having thought too much about the other candidates) Well, so what? Nothing will change. Those people will remain without justice and The Man will go on shafting the little people.

Comment

Bhopal

I think I'll answer that in a PM, if you don't mind, GT.

Comment

Bhopal

Replied, evilC.

Comment

Bhopal

http://www.bhopal.net/opinions/archives/2006/04/congratulations.html

http://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/4759859.Club_kits_out_charity_drive/

It doesn't mean a lot in the grand scheme of things, but there's a small part of England that'll always be thinking about, and trying to help, Bhopal.

Comment

Bhopal

Another insult added to the (ongoing) injury.

Comment

Bhopal

Appalling.

Comment

Working...
                    X