Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

message for EIM (about FM 08)

If you want 07, give me a shout.

If its not you, EIM, can the person concerned give me a shout, so that I can differentiate between you?

Thanks

Errr... see my post on the 'brown light' thread, Ger.

Comment

07:

I have done the first season, and finished 14th with Arsenal. Just started the second and I just got a fucking vote of confidence. (I got to the semis of the European Cup)

perhaps I shouldnt have bought Edmilson...

Comment

Cheers man, but I'm cooking on gas now on FM2008.

I won the Conference North with eight games spare, having only lost once all season. I just lost to Southport at home, mind, which made me FURIOUS. I was like a hungover, vengeful God. That's how FURIOUS I was.

I picked up a player called Onandi Lowe for 6k, and he's been fucking marvellous for me. He scored ten goals in his first three games (3, another 3, then four). The fans love me, the players love me, the board say they're going to sack their accountant and give me that job too.

I'm like the second coming of Clough, or something.

Comment

By the way - other reasons I want to stick with the '06 version are:

I've heard of the players (being a non-football-obssessive it's been a bit of a steep learning curve) and could nab the younger ones, who are now excellent, early on in their careers.

I read on some messageboards that '06 is perhaps the most user-friendly, despite having a few really annoying bugs. You can, for instance, see how good/bad other teams players really are, without having to scout them fully, like you do in the '08 version. It's not 'true-to-life', obviously, but it's helpful for a novice like me.

Finally, while there are no real 'cheats' for the game, I have - mostly through experimentation - come across a few money-making loopholes that you can exploit. (You might want to see if these persist in the later versions too, Ger.) The first is that, while the main and end stands in a stadium are really costly to expand, the corners are - relatively speaking - dirt cheap. However, since they 'fan out' as you build them ever higher, their capacity increases massively relative to the cost incurred by developing them. Thus, build them to the heavens at the first opportunity! By doing this, I've got Charlton a 47,000 stadium for less than £12m, which in theory returns over a million per sold-out game (of which there are admittedly few). The second cheat, touched upon in the 'brown light' thread is that, when selling players to other teams, stipulate ridiculous 'per appearance' bonus payments to yourself in the transfer agreement. It doesn't always work, but if a team is desperate enough and wealthy enough they'll cough up. I stumbled across this one in my previous playing of the game, when I sold Chris Kirkland (it's a long story!) to Middlesborough for £5m plus £100,000 per game for his first 50 appearances for them. This time round, I've taken it to an extreme, selling Danny Murphy (the '05 version!) to Man U for £6m plus £2.3m per appearance - again for the first 50 games!!! Ridiculous, of course, but all I can say is 'HA!'. Using this technique, I have effectively sold nearly all my veterans and will be receiving potentially millions per week for them for the next couple of seasons. :^D

Like I said, though, these loopholes may have been sorted out for the later versions, but it's certainly worth looking into it, just in case.

Comment

sorry, already got a new stadium, and actually, a job vacancy as of about 15 minutes ago... I am thinking of taking over England... more importantly, they are thinking of me, as England are 6 points in front. I think I could do least damage.

Comment

Oh yeah - one more 'tip' from my compendium of evil for you both:

Look for release clauses in the contracts of players on other teams. This will almost certainly mean a marathon of clicking and scrolling through squads, but you'll soon develop your own technique for speeding this up.

Basically, you look for release clauses for 'release if approached by a team of a higher division' if looking at squads in the Championship - particularly freshly-relegated ones and 'release if approached by a foreign team' when scanning teams in Europe/RoW. (They never think this through, y'see and consider that 'abroad' might ultimately mean 'Charlton'!) The 'teams from a higher division' works on players in European second-tier teams too.

Using this technique, I've effectively replaced all my shipped-out veterans (and then some!) for no initial fees. I've also got Charlton possibly the most exotic team they are ever likely to see in their lives!

Comment

I see you mentioned download fairies. I wouldn't say no to a nod in the right direction.

Comment

PM me your email address, assuming you have MSN, if thats ok?

Comment

Done.

Comment

and done. go to MSN

Comment

noby, I have to take the boys out shortly, so if not within the next 15 minutes, or at least an hour thereafter (woohoo, two piss poor words in a day.. all I need now is hereafter or notwithstanding, for the set)

Comment

EIM wrote:

I picked up a player called Onandi Lowe for 6k, and he's been fucking marvellous for me.
                          Just make sure he doesn't go signing for any parcels with bits of white powder leaking out of them.

Comment

Just back from lunch.

EDIT: Actually, scrap that. I don't have MSN.

Comment

no worries then.

timing is all. In case you do get MSN (and then dump it like a hot brick) you are already added, so there.

Comment

and notwithstanding the previous, you're welcome. (Does that count? Fuck it, I am counting, so yep)

Comment

Thanks.
                                  I have it at home *I think*, so I'll try later.

Comment

for the first time in years i'm doing well in fm (playing 2008), and am getting somewhat addicted. my citeh team seem to have plateau-d at 3rd in the league, perpetual european cup quarter finalists; partially to break the jinx, and partially out of creeping boredom i've spunked a load of cash on ben arfa and aguero.

sadly enough, i spent my entire walk to work this morning pondering how i'm going to fit them into my team, and whether i can start playing a bit more attacking football without the wheels falling off my tactic.

it's a painful business.

Comment

Welcome to my world, Dogbeak.

I spent the entire evening, last night, constructing my lineup(s) and trying to fit the various players in so that they gain enough experience. However, I couldn't dump enough of my incumbents/veterans in the January window for my (bank account's) liking, so I may have to go back to a previous game save and start all over again. Grrrrr!

Comment

Working...
                                      X