X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why isn't there brown light?

Comment

In SR's 'theatrical lighting' scenario, wouldn't lighting technicians somehow combine green and red lighting (filters) to create a kind of 'bleurrgh' brown that would to some seem like russet?

Comment

true, but its about natural, or isnt it?

evil, did you have Football Manager '08? want '07?

Comment

Ger:

Thanks for the (strange, random) offer. As it is, I've successfully installed and updated FIFA Manager 06. I'll stick to it, I think, for a few reasons: a) I'm totally familiar with it, b) I just wasted the whole bank holiday weekend playing it and c) I've just got rid of Danny Murphy and Matt Holland from my Charlton squad, selling them to Man U and Arsenal respectively for millions each, plus clauses of over a million per appearance (for me) for each of them. My financial future is assured! (Stupid Man U! Heh!)

Cheers loads for the offer, though, old chap.

Comment

NP. Just thought that as the download fairy had brought this bounty upon me, I should, you know, share.

Having said all that, I fucking hate it. (Is this the 2nd best hijack ever?)

Comment

I have many words to distinguish red, green and brown, but I often can't distinguish between them visually, usually if they're in isolation. For I am daltonien.

Comment

woohoo... and is he still the best, after the guy with the pale blue contacts?

Comment

the guy with the pale blue contacts
                  Thaksin Shinawatra?

Comment

Christ, only 36 minutes.

(I cant remember the name of the latest James Bond, so I have no excuse)

Comment

You know, it turns out Wittgenstein had quite a lot to say about brown light, but I can't find the definitive link amid a Google mudslide of references-in-passing.

Comment

Two pages of this. My God.
                        What's with this brown light quest, anyway?

Comment

Don't you think it's an interesting question? I do. Oh well.

Comment

I find it highly intriguing and after much Googling, I find that the only people who can answer this are a) unintelligble or b)unusual or indeed f) fucking mental.

The collective findings boil down to this: If you look at the sun long enough, you can see whatever colour you want.

Comment

Of course you can get brown light.

Comment

Don't you think it's an interesting question?
                                Well, in a sense, no. But more broadly....um...no, as well.
                                But what intrigues me is why it intrigues you.
                                Which is why I asked.
                                And, I'll note, you dodged the question.
                                I was wondering what it was that prompted the thought.
                                The 'why', if you will.

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                                  Don't you think it's an interesting question?
                                  Well, in a sense, no. But more broadly....um...no, as well.
                                  But what intrigues me is why it intrigues you.
                                  Which is why I asked.
                                  And, I'll note, you dodged the question.
                                  I was wondering what it was that prompted the thought.
                                  The 'why', if you will.
                                  I don't know why it popped into my head (possibly because I was reading a book of science Q&As that came free with the Independent when I was sitting on the bog), but I'm glad it did.

In fact, I wonder whether the life without asking (questions like) "Why is there no brown light?" is even a life worth living.

Comment

It is interesting! The mad stuff that Plato and Aristotle came up with about colour perception is great.

Comment

I agree that a life without asking questions is not a life worth living.
                                      Except for the brown light question. That would be the exception to the rule. Well, that and a lot of "Whatever happened to..." type questions that they construct entire cheapy-cheap cable TV shows out of.

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                                        I agree that a life without asking questions is not a life worth living.
                                        Except for the brown light question. That would be the exception to the rule. Well, that and a lot of "Whatever happened to..." type questions that they construct entire cheapy-cheap cable TV shows out of.
                                        OK, then I'm afraid I'll have to turn it around on you and ask why you think it isn't a worthwhile question. (I mean, you can't seriously think it's the same as those 'Whatever happened to...' questions, so you must have some other reason.)

Comment

In all sincerity, I don't think it's a worthwhile question. The subject matter holds no interest for me. But I'm only taking the piss by implying that you shouldn't think it's a worthwhile question. There's actually nothing wrong with it. In fact, it's the sort of question that preoccupies a fair bit of my gray matter on an ongoing basis. In fact, as I've bored-on about before, Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' is a fascinating book just jammed full of stuff like this. Fortunately, he provides both the question and the answer, which brings me much more satisfaction. 'Don't you ever just want to wonder for the sake of wondering?', some might ask. No. I need to know the answer. 'Just wondering' drives me mad.

Comment

wow WoM, that was a superb response.

Unfortunately, I am a wonderer, mainly because I cant be arsed, normally, and dont mind not knowing, although this one now counts.

I Googled the beejezesus out of it, and cant come up with a good answer. (I actually went to the library and everything, so its not just nothing, its learned nothing)

SR: After much research and considered thought, I can honestly say, I have no fucking idea.

Comment

Working...
                                            X