Miami Beach ... Cannes ... Cleveleys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While a collection of Tracey Emin's used fags and condoms and half a dead dolphin a la Damien Hurst would fit right in with the current exhibits along the high-tide line, somehow ... I can't see this working.

"Culture" and "Blackpool" are marginal bedfellows at best, when they involve Bobby Davro and/or Bruce Forsyth. "Culture" and "Fleetwood" are words that are presently only found together in lengthy anthropological studies.

The caption on the story's accompanying photo reminds me of just how different the meanings of the word 'scheme' are, depending on which side of the big pond you're on. Here, a scheme is never anything besides a nefarious plan to evade taxes or defraud pensioners. This thing in Blackpool may end up doing just that, but clearly that's not the plan today.

Comment

Anyone wishing to conduct anthropological studies should go to B&M in Fleetwood. All human life is definitely there.....

Comment

Fleetwood. Horrible bastards.

I had a row with a Fleetwood fan about FC United having no identity of their own. They were red shirts with white sleeves and play at a ground called Highbury. Wanker.

Comment

I had a row with a woman in Fleetwood about nothing at all, other than the fact I was on the wrong side of the bastard street. The smell of Stella was overpowering.

Edit: from her, obviously. I wouldn't lower myself to Stella.

Comment

Blackpool should sell itswelf on the basis that at least it isn't Fleetwood.

Comment

Fleetwood was a nice model of Cadillac for many years, so it's quite an elegant place in my mind's eye (which, of course, could likely use new glasses).

Comment

New glasses and a retinal transplant.

Comment

I'm seeing nattily attired couples taking constitutionals along the waterfront. Small dogs are on leashes. Tow-headed children walk quietly alongside. Gentlemen tips their straw boaters to other couples as they recognize faces from church or the lawn bowling club. Ladies carry parasols for no reason other than style. It's a lovely place.

Comment

Working...
                  X