Is it still considered rude to point?

Why?

Vexed Questions of Etiquette

Comment

One point to Gangster Octopus.

Comment

You'll have someone's eye out with that.

Comment

Obviously it's rude to stick a finger in someone's face, but that's the case whether you're pointing or not. Why is it rude to just point out something or someone?

Comment

I don't know that it's rude to point to something. I think it's considered rude to point at someone. It's generally a hostile gesture, or can be interpreted as such, so the idea is probably to err on the side of caution and just not do it. I'm sure trees and bus stops don't mind being pointed to.

Comment

It personalises an argument? Seems threatening?

The last time I was at Highbury, I sat in the section right next to the visitors. The stewards had no problem with people screaming vicious abuse over the barrier. But they weren't allowed to point at anyone on the other side. Obviously this was a terribly vile provocation and I saw one dude get tossed out for persistent violation of this rule.

Comment

"He pointed - a vulgarism which a good tutor would have corrected - and Lord Emsworth, following the finger, winced as his eye rested once more upon Rupert Baxter."

Comment

I've never really understood it either. If I were to make up a reason, it would be that by removing the pointing option, you're forced to rely on your eloquence in describing the thing you would have pointed at, and eloquence is a sign of good breeding. Or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                  X