Nurseries and Ofsted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nurseries and Ofsted

A handful of you who follow me on Facebook may already know that I've been having some issues with my childcare provider, a local 'Day Nursery'.

11 days ago now my wife and I got a letter from the local Childrens Services department in Taunton. The first paragraph was terrifying as it said a complaint had been made naming our daughter. So for about 2 horrible seconds I thought I had been accused of something (or my wife), then it went on to say that it was in fact the owner of my daughters nursery that was accused anonymously of grabbing, dragging, shaking and yelling at her. It also said one other child had been named but that was anonymous to us.

So furious and confused I spoke to various departments, mainly Ofsted who are in charge of investigations.

It turns out that they were already investigating other issues by the time I got the letter. But they couldn't tell me what until the report is finalised.

I spoke to the owner of the nursery who denied hurting any children and said it was a girl who'd left the nursery who was maliciously trying to ruin her. Plausible, possibe, but not provable at this point. So we decided to pull her out of nursery until further news was available.

It feels morally uncomfortable to take one persons word for it, but as the potential risk was high we felt we needed to be cautious.

Since then Ofsted have not updated me much, they've confirmed that things are ongoing and there's now more than one complainer.

I'm fairly confident of who has made the complaint as a girl who worked at the nursery left to do teacher training and a couple of weeks later these complaints came in. I suspect she had a realisation of how many problems there were at her previous employer and so called Ofsted.

And last night the first public complaint was published by Ofsted in which the owner of the nursery has admitted falsifying the register to make it appear to Ofsted that they had the ocrroect ratio of adults to children. In fact they were breaking their license regulations and opened with too few adults.

So armed with that additional piece of evidence I feel alot happier not trusting the owner anymore.

Ofsted still want to speak to us in person, so I feel that this hasn't finished yet. There is more they want to tell us, which is scary, but the police aren't involved (or at least they weren't a week ago) so hopefully it's nothing that is going to traumatise anyone for too long.

I always try to take a neutral stance and consider both sides of an argument, but how could anyone let their child go back to a nursery once even just one anonymous complaint was made? I don't think I could ever let that go go.

Nurseries and Ofsted

Well, I have now heard that the nursery has been closed down. There's more discussions about which authorities progress things from here... so I guess they mean the police or local council bodies?

Anyway, they assure me there's nothing sexual about the allegations which I guess s the biggest worry of the lot.

But still, if I bump into the owner of the nursery again ( I did the other day when the allegations were new and things hadn't progressed this far) then I don't know that I couldn't offer a total onslaught of abuse.

Comment

Nurseries and Ofsted

Fuck, really sorry to hear that, barndoorio. Sorry, I don't know your situation--how old is your daughter? Has she shown any affects of this?

Comment

Nurseries and Ofsted

Gee, sounds awful. I really hope things are OK.

Comment

Nurseries and Ofsted

Shit, that sounds like a horrible situation.

I know what you mean about taking one person's word for it, but I can imagine anyone would do the same thing in withdrawing their child while it was looked in to.

Hope your daughter (and you and Mrs.bardnoorio) are okay and it all gets sorted out quickly.

Comment

Nurseries and Ofsted

The best thing about this is that our girl seems unaffected and wanted to go back to 'school', so we're hopeful that she isn't going to suffer long term.

However, we're starting to notice her behaviour improve since she stopped going, although obviously as she gets older that sort of thing will be happening anyway, but it does seem a bit coincidental. She was hitting and biting quite often a couple of weeks ago and this has calmed down and she is doing much better.

She's 33 months old and seems to be doign well. Mainly I'm cross that the trust has been broken. I had to speak to the owner earlier to request a cheque for fees I'd paid (she wanted my bank details but that isn't happening!). She was trying to defend herself (as you would regardless of guilt or no guilt) but it just sounded empty defense to me and the fact that she has admitted altering the register means I can't see her as anything but a liar now. She then started detailing that the staff were ganging up on her for fun and that she'd hurt her back and it wasn't fair.

My sympathy seemed to be strangely absent.

Comment

Nurseries and Ofsted

I think you were right to do what you did, for what it's worth. for a start Ofsted had already considered the complaint before they told you. You'd assume that they'd ruled out obvious timewasting by the complainant.

Comment

Working...
              X