Cardholder Definitely Not Present

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to Asda at lunchtime to do a bit of shopping, got to the till and had my card declined. Assumed I'd put the wrong pin number in so tried again with the same results. I immediately started to panic because for the first time in years our current account is quite healthy.

Rushed back to the office and logged in to the bank and discovered a payment supposedly made on my card for over £3.5k. Strangely enough, my card wasn't declined due to lack of funds as we didn't cancel our overdraft facility after we sorted ourselves out. It was declined because earlier this morning there were 2 transactions for approx £30 to i-tunes and vodafone that they were concerned about. Pity they weren't so concerned when someone paid off a £3.5 credit card bill in one fell swoop using my card details, which is hardly in keeping with anything I have ever done in my 21 year history of this bank account.

Managed to get the afternoon off work to go up to the bank to sort it out. Or not as the case may be. All my local branch did was put me on the phone to the fraud dept and left me to it. I can expect a phone call within the next 2-3 working days apparently.

I think I'm right in thinking that the FSA have brought in new guidelines which mean that the bank should re-imburse me before any investigation takes place, rather than being presumed guilty until proven innocent. But it wouldn't surprise me if they dragged their heels and I'm without my money for quite some time.

I'm absolutely gutted about this and my mrs is even worse. We're pretty careful, only using on-line payments with trusted sites, we shred anything and everything. The only place I can think of where we have left ourselves open is I used the card to buy some pizzas over the phone about 6 weeks ago.

What I don't understand is how the fraudulent payment passed the post code and/or name check with the credit card company involved. Unless of course there is a credit card registered under my name and address, in which case this could only just be the start....

That sucks. A year ago, I had both my bank credit card and my bank debit card compromised. Both were dinged by the maximum daily amount you could do a cash withdrawal for.

Got it sorted.

A few months later I had to reset the PIN on my bank card due to 'suspicious activity'.

Same again two weeks ago.

Each time it's been traced back to a branch in Montreal near the data processing centre my bank operates (according to my father-in-law, who worked in data processing at my bank, as luck would have it).

In other words, they're inside jobs each time, which probably explains why they put things right so quickly and courteously each time.

Comment

That's nasty BP, I hope you can get things sorted. As far as the new FSA regs are concerned, I heard the same on the radio the other day and this seems to bear it out.
      Good luck.

Comment

That does suck. I'm sure you'll get the money back but don't let them make you feel guilty. It's my experience that when dealing with banks they treat one like a criminal all the time and demand extremely stringent security measures, but when you report being defrauded to them, you get told stuff like 'there's no way of finding out who opened that account, madam' and so on.

Comment

Both my wife and myself had problems with our individual credit cards earlier this year. They contacted me and issued a new card as there had been suspicious activity i.e. a woman, definitely not my wife, presenting it for payment in a shop. That's all they would tell me - not even where the shop was.
          My wife (over a period when she was in hospital) had four lots of £600 transferred from her card to a bank account somewhere in Birmingham. She wasn't liable for the loss in the end, but had to put up with some heavy questioning from the card company, they even asked her if she was sure that she could completely trust her husband.
          Again, all we can think of is that it was an inside job.

Comment

I've had this happen three times in recent years. Worst time my cards were cloned - not sure where, think it may have been a cash machine at Charing Cross - and someone took out about £700 in Milan before the fraud department at the bank cancelled my card (they tried to take out about £4,000). Was a bit of a pain but fully reimbursed - on all three occasions I've been reimbursed without any bother in around 14 days (and only had to fill in any paperwork that one time). I now make sure I have another account at a separate bank with enough to tide me over if it happens again.

Comment

That's weird, I had a letter re. fraudulent transactions this morning, and they were for two amounts to Vodafone and two to iTunes.

Haven't had anything similar for years and wonder if we were both on the same bad link or something.

Comment

Apparently they try the card on small things such as itunes or maybe a mobile top up to see if the card is working and valid.

Comment

Working...
                X