It's official! I'm middle-aged!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two of this year's graduate trainee intake came to our office today as part of their induction, to see what my team was all about, and for the first time ever, I found myself immediately thinking "there's no WAY you're 21 - you look about 15!".

Quickly followed by that depressing follow-up thought, "I probably am, technically, old enough to be their father".

Luckily, I didn't say anything like "Hey, that Tinchy Strider, he's pretty cool with his grimey grooves, isn't he?".

My out-of touch old geezer moment came a few weeks ago when I asked a younger colleague to drop some music in my folder so I could upload it to my iPod. I wrote "..unless you bought it from iTunes, cuz it won't be authorized on my system".

She wrote back. "iTunes... LOL...that's funny :"

Comment

My Dad used to hold that as three score years and ten was, according to the Bible, the length of a life, so around 35 was middle-aged. (But then he also used to insist that "Red sky in the morning, shepherd's delight!" and "Red sky at night, shepherd's warning" ...)

Are you there or thereabouts, Rogin or WOM?

Comment

I turn 34 in a couple of weeks. I'm shitting myself.

Comment

My old geezer moment was when a student asked me recently: "Why didn't you ever have kids?" Course, she could maybe have just got her tenses mixed up (the Present Perfect would have allowed me still to have them), but then maybe not ...

Comment

erwin wrote:
            Are you there or thereabouts, Rogin or WOM?

I work with a lot of PYTs that are 23, 24, 25 and who say things like "I remember back when I was in university", which was usually two or three years ago. It's nearing the point where I actually do own shoes that are older than some of them.

Comment

It's a minefield out there, so to avoid those old geezer moments you'll be needing this.

Comment

I just love these threads.

Comment

You could bring an interesting perspective to this, Amor. When you're 60-ish, how old is an old guy?

Comment

I got carded in Sainsbury's the other day. Their limit is 25! Luckily I had my passport with me. The guy blenched when he saw the date on it (1485) and muttered 'Jesus I'm sorry.' Like, I'm SO old that it was unforgiveable. I was like, dude, I'm buying Taste the difference wine! Not any old shite like a student!

Comment

how old is an old guy?

Well mathematically if life is divided into young, middle-aged and old, then once you pass sixty you're old, given that 90 is a generous life expectation. There are other more relevant signs of course. The bits of you that fall off, or no longer function as well as they used to, become more of a concern (and expense.) People treat you differently: "would you like help to the car with your groceries?" asks the concerned check-out clerk. "Of course I fucking wouldn't" you think but don't say, "what do you think I am...disabled?" While at the same time realising that it won't be long before you might need help with your groceries. Mostly though I love being my age. The family are grown and gone. I feel fortunate [touch wood] that work/money is less of an issue than twenty-some years ago, so that stress is not what it was. My main concern is how to grow old without growing stupid. I'm aware of sclerotic grumpy-old-man type thinking creeping in among my close friends and pull them up on it when I can, but the curse of the closed mind is a serious problem. Please let me know if you catch me at it.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                        Please let me know if you catch me at it.
                        Ok. You may've been old enough to know that Diana Ross wasn't up to much, but I was seven. And I loved all The Supremes...

Comment

I'm always amazed and slightly disconcerted when the young 'uns address me as "sir."

My main concern is how to grow old without growing stupid.
                          I think you already have to be stupid and closed minded for that to happen, so no worries, eh?

Comment

erwin wrote:
                            My Dad used to hold that as three score years and ten was, according to the Bible, the length of a life, so around 35 was middle-aged.
                            Back in the day, we used to get The Sun delivered. That's 'cos it used to be the Daily Herald, which was a left-wing paper. Then it became The Sun (and sponsored the RAF Rally, if I remember correctly), but still owned by the Mirror Group (or whatever it was known as then).

Murdoch bought it, but, for a while, we still got a copy. In 1970 it showed a picture of Elvis Presley, saying "Elvis is middle-aged". It was on his 35th birthday. Since then, I've always assumed that 35 is middle aged. Wasn't for Elvis, mind...

Comment

I am 43. Its 04:39 in the morning, I shouldnt be talking about this, so fuck off.

Yep, I am middle aged.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                                [ I'm aware of sclerotic grumpy-old-man type thinking creeping in among my close friends and pull them up on it when I can
                                You're a step ahead of me. I'm aware of it in myself.

Comment

amen to that one AG.

I am sat here, trying to stop myself, knee-jerking everyone/anyone...

I can name my chest hair. I have. I have no problem with that, other than I used to be a young, svelte, piece of 'eye-candy' for gentlemen of a certain age.

Now, I look, like a worn, bald, sheep. With a smile, and a 'tache.

But, one thing I will say, is that I have never worried about becoming 'older'. Ever. Its the only thing I have going for me. I dont care about dying, and indeed, dyeing.

I am a 43 year old man, who has turned into a recalcitrant piece of twatdom, and everything I didnt want to be, and yet, I am ... comfortable, with that.

And, the lines on my face... they 'fit'. No, they do.

I fit my age. It took me a while to get here, but you know, I look fucking great.

And, there you go. I have more nose hair than ankle hair, I have armpit hair with more grooming than lice-ridden ME at school, and I have a pair of eyes, that help me through the day.

I LIKE middle age.

Comment

I'm 45. I'm a grumbly old fucker who's approaching the forthcoming years with anxiety, fear and acute misery, seeing the future not as a beacon of hope, happiness and prosperity, but as an onrushing tide of hopelessness and despair.

Apart from that, I'm feeling okay, thanks.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                                      Two of this year's graduate trainee intake came to our office today as part of their induction, to see what my team was all about, and for the first time ever, I found myself immediately thinking "there's no WAY you're 21 - you look about 15!".

Quickly followed by that depressing follow-up thought, "I probably am, technically, old enough to be their father".

Luckily, I didn't say anything like "Hey, that Tinchy Strider, he's pretty cool with his grimey grooves, isn't he?".
                                      Just catching up with this thread.

Working with students all the time, the 'No way are you even 18 yet!' syndrome creeps in slowly.

However, rather than trying to be 'down wiv da kidz', I don't even bother. I just know they're going to be shit anyway!

Comment

I was on part-time secondment a few years ago to a firm that employed a lot of young people. One of them, by way of complimenting me, told me she found me the easiest to talk to "of all the old people" at the firm. I think she was expecting me to be more pleased than I was.

Comment

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                                          She wrote back. "iTunes... LOL...that's funny :"
                                          This just makes me think she was thick and had never heard of iTunes.

Comment

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
                                            I turn 34 in a couple of weeks. I'm shitting myself.
                                            Awwwww! Who'awuvlywittulbabythennn,eh?!? Youare! Yesyouare! Ohyezyouare!

I draw the line at offering to blow raspberrys on your stomach, though.

I turn 44 in a couple of weeks and I'm still more in touch with music than half of these young gits ever will be, so don't worry about it, Toby.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                                              Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                                              Please let me know if you catch me at it.
                                              Ok. You may've been old enough to know that Diana Ross wasn't up to much, but I was seven. And I loved all The Supremes...
                                              G.O., sometime in the 70s:

-

Comment

ian.64 wrote:
                                                I'm 45. I'm a grumbly old fucker who's approaching the forthcoming years with anxiety, fear and acute misery, seeing the future not as a beacon of hope, happiness and prosperity, but as an onrushing tide of hopelessness and despair.

Apart from that, I'm feeling okay, thanks.
                                                and you said 'Bolton Wanderers' on the Guardian website, ha, dont think it wasnt noticed you old fuckbag, cackle.

*edit: I shat myself in case it was a pic (above) by dotmund.... and that in itself, proves, I am middle aged.

Comment

In Sainsburys last week. I hadn't shaved for a couple of days and deep lines of pain etched into my face because of my back pain...I take a bottle of wine up to the counter (unlike Lyra, it wasn't any of that TTD nonsense). "Got any id?" says the young girl behind the counter...I said "Look at this face, it's been through two divorces, countless broken relationships and all this grey hair isn't an affectation. Do I really look like I'm under 25?" Eventually the manager had to come down and authorise my purchase.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X