Travel Woe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Woe

In an effort to be romantic and spontaneous I booked 10 days in Italy for myself and the girlfriend.

She called into the Italian embassy to get a visa to be told to book an appointment through a call centre charging €1.75 a minute. This annoyed her but when told the earliest appointment that could be made was the middle of July she went volcanic. We're due to fly on the 9th of June.

The embassy won't deal directly with visa applicants so we're daffy ducked.

Anybody know of any ways to get refunds from Aer Lingus?

Travel Woe

Why do you need a visa? Aren't you in the EU?

The refund conditions should be stated on your ticket. Generally speaking, airlines don't do refunds these days unless you buy a full-fare ticket. What you can do is use the money towards a ticket to another destination (they often make you pay a fee for this though, which is annoying but better than losing your money entirely).

Comment

Travel Woe

I'm in the EU but the gf is Chinese so she needs one since Ireland isn't in Schengen.

I'll investigate changing destination. Thanks Gramsci.

Comment

Travel Woe

That is totally ludicrous, though. I can get a visa to China from the consulate here in 24 hours, and the Italians can't manage it in less than two months?

Best of luck.

Comment

Travel Woe

If you still want to take her to Italy, maybe you could get her a visa to France and fly into Nice then proceed across the border by car, provided the delay to french visas is shorter, which might be the case.

Comment

Travel Woe

Try Liechtenstein. Not sure in the VERY short term, but my ex, got his Chinese bit of trade (no offence to any of you, only me) through that way.

They have now been together for 6 years. Having said that he does/did have a shitload of money, so, I apologise if thats no help.

Comment

Travel Woe

All she presumably needs is a Schengen visa, which will get her into any Schengen country (includes Italy). So she should be able to get one from the embassy of any Schengen country.

My parents (from South Africa) are well-versed in Schengen procedure, so if you need any further help, I can always ask them.

Comment

Working...
              X