The Sun - Just Fuck Off and Die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate this vile filthy rag even more than ever. This thing about Brown and the letter - they don't give a shit about "our boys", all they care about is getting their darling Dave elected. Are people so bloody thick and stupid that they can't decide for themselves and have to have some 2 bob jumped up cunt like Pascoe Watson or Kavanagh to tell them how to vote?? Of course those 2 wastes of space aren't worth pissing on as they just dance to the tune of uber scum Murdoch

"Are people so bloody thick and stupid that they can't decide for themselves and have to have some 2 bob jumped up cunt like Pascoe Watson or Kavanagh to tell them how to vote?"

Yes. They are.

Comment

Yeah, but you wouldn't want to miss the antics of 'George & Lynne' would you?

Comment

As PM Brown has been a fuck-up pretty much right through, but he shouldn't be having to defend himself over his illiteracy or impaired vision. He's damned either way, if he had just signed a draft letter the he would have been accused of not caring. I have no comprehension what a grieving mother might be going through, but to call in a Murdoch mercenary and have him poking her in the back with a cattle prod while she goes through this embarressing ordeal is doing her no favours whatsoever, and can only result in unwarrented critcism when she should be left to grieve in private.

Comment

Steve Bellstrikes home.

Comment

MarcB1972 wrote:
            ...they don't give a shit about "our boys", all they care about is getting their darling Dave elected.
            "Darling Dave"? I thought they'd be supporting Griffin. Where have they stood on the BNP in recent months?

Comment

Yes, it's the fact that they won't come out and criticise the war but just the way the war is being waged or, more accurately, the minutiae around it.

Mind you, the mother is right about the lack of equipment

Comment

nefertiti wrote:
                Steve Bellstrikes home.
                Brilliant!

Comment

evilC wrote:
                  MarcB1972 wrote:
                  ...they don't give a shit about "our boys", all they care about is getting their darling Dave elected.
                  "Darling Dave"? I thought they'd be supporting Griffin. Where have they stood on the BNP in recent months?
                  No they called Griffin a one eyed, control freak who's out of step with popular thinki.... hang on a minute!!

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                    Yes, it's the fact that they won't come out and criticise the war but just the way the war is being waged or, more accurately, the minutiae around it.

Mind you, the mother is right about the lack of equipment
                    Is she? I mean, yeah, I know there's a problem with a lack of equipment, but what she actually said was that that directly contriuted to her son's death. Is that actually the case? I'm actually asking about the factual aspects of this case here, not spoiling for a fight or anything

I just feel that there's a subtext in the tabloid press handling of the equipment story that if they had the best equipment available, then no-one could possibly get blown up or shot out there, as if more armour and helecopters makes occupying a country no-one wants you in intrinsically safe.

Comment

This transcript of the phone-call shows her specific complaints. Seemingly, she believes a lack of evacuation helicopters directly led to her son's death.

Comment

It's the rightwing press's only effective line of attack on Labour over Afganistan, this sort of thing, isn't it?

I mean they all support the war without aims/logic/purpose/any chance of success, as does Brown, so the only angle of attack they've got is obscure attacks on the minutuaie of its conduct rather than the glaringly obvious stupidity of the entire venture.

Comment

George at asda wrote:
                          Yeah, but you wouldn't want to miss the antics of 'George & Lynne' would you?
                          Speaking of George & Lynne, has anyone visited George & Lynne Explained? Very good.

Comment

The Tories are trying a similar bit of opposition over the resignation of more drug experts. Of course their shadow can't disagree with Johnson's absurd sacking of Professor Nutt, so he's hit upon another egregious failure. Apparently Johnson should by now have settled the committee down. What he was supposed to have said to reassure them isn't specified by the Tories. Clearly they have no understanding that academics put a bit of store by academic freedom, and are capable of resigning on principle- not least from unpaid committees who always get rubbished by pig-ignorant politicians.

Comment

This Brown letter business has kind of passed me by a bit. I'm amazed that the mother gets a letter from the PM – is that standard? I'm even more amazed, though, that she (presumably) decided to record his phone conversation. I mean, what the hell?

Comment

It's one of those stories that's so transparent, you hope that even the most blinkered and ignorant Sun reader is going to wonder why they're on the PM's back when he was only trying to do the decent thing.

I can see the whole thing backfiring, anyway. They've just had the the mother on News at Ten, and she was painting Brown out as a pretty decent bloke. I'm sure the Sun will drop her quicker than Malcolm Tucker dropped cafe lady.

Comment

It's passed me by too, but I'm inferring that it isn't very important from the fact it was the cover story of the Standard.

Simon Jenkins makes the rather sensible point that the head of state is a better person to write this sort of letter. If I lost a son in this ridiculous war, I think the "commander in chief" would be the last person I wanted to hear from.

If TonTon's reading this, I trust he'll be convinced by this argument that a head of state is essential, just like illegal wars.

Comment

"Explaining why she made the recording, Jacqui said: "I was so shocked when he called I knew I wouldn't be able to remember what he said."
                                    It is amazing how often I am so shocked by a phone call that I can dig my old dictaphone from the back of my cupboard.

Is she? I mean, yeah, I know there's a problem with a lack of equipment, but what she actually said was that that directly contriuted to her son's death. Is that actually the case? I'm actually asking about the factual aspects of this case here, not spoiling for a fight or anything
                                    I was referring to her being right in general. Soldiers having to buy basic equipment themselves is a farce.

Equally, I am not sure which Chinooks she is referring to as there have been so many Chinooks grounded or that have never got off the ground over the last 10 years it is ridiculous

Comment

The more I hear about this story the more it angers me.

It seems that the Sun have basically used a grieving mother as a pawn, as a useful idiot, as part of their agenda to get David Cameron into no. 10.

They've sought to pour criticism and scorn on a partially blind (and by all accounts well on his way to becoming completely blind) man for making a couple of typos (and some of them aren't even the typos theyr'e alleged to be) in a handwritten letter of condolence.

It's not standard procedure to write to the families of dead soldiers is it? Brown was under no obligation to do this, and surely if anything he should be commended for doing it in the first place, not condemned for a couple of errors that are almost certainly attributable to his disability.

I mean, God knows there are plenty of reasons to have a right good go at Brown, but he's been stitched up by a shower of shitbags here, and in the dignity and restraint of his response has shown to be a much better person than anyone else involved in this sorry episode.

Comment

It seems that the Sun have basically used a grieving mother as a pawn, as a useful idiot, as part of their agenda to get David Cameron into no. 10.
                                        Of all the terrible things the Sun's done over the years, I have to say this is pretty low down the list, however reprehensible it is.

Comment

That Steve Bell 'toon is fantastic.

I don't very often agree with him, but the boy Massie has got this more-or-less spot on, I think. Not that his readers seem to much concur.

Comment

I'm quite angry about this. Though I'm no fan of Brown and the fuck up he's in chrage of in Afghanistan, this is a bit much.

I don't know about Major or Blair*, but Thatcher wrote to the families of those who died in the Falklands war. And here is the Prime Minister for once trying to do the decent thing. In private. Where it should have stayed. No publishing letters or phone calls.

Added to which are you allowed to publish private phone conversations without warning or the other persons permission? You always get a warning with call centres (training purposes, yeah.. right)

*I made this point over on 40% and someone suggested that Blair would have sent a signed photo.

Comment

It's complicated, but basically a private individual can record a phone call without consent so long as they don't provide the recording (or contents thereof) to a third party. I'd imagine that what happened here was technically illegal, but the chances of it being prosecuted are pretty slim.

Comment

Notably, the BBC ran the tape with Brown's comments spoken by an actor Gerry Adams style

I can see the whole thing backfiring, anyway.
                                                It certainly appears to be. Plenty of critical comments on the Sun's own website. The rest of the media targetting them (apart from Sky, I assume)

The editor has just been on saying that they had nothing to do with the taping of the telephone conversation, the mother taped it as she was on sedatives at the time. As per my previous comments, I have just got up from a nap and wouldn't be able to find my old Dictaphone and hold a telephone conversation at the same time

Comment

Use your finger like everyone else.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X