Simple numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple numbers

A place for those of us (like myself, EIM and Lyra) to discuss numbers that we actually understand.

I'll start. 5. It's bigger than 2, but smaller than 71.

Simple numbers

I like 111 meself.

Comment

Simple numbers

Stupid 111 isn't even a prime.

Comment

Simple numbers

7 (seven)
        it looks a bit like a scythe

95 (ninety-five
        this was my favourite number when i was a nipper. i found that it had a lovely cadence when one was counting up to a hundred. not that i knew what a cadence was at the time.

4 (four)
        it looks a bit like a rocking horse's head in profile.

0 (nowt)
        booooooring. i mean its just a bloody stretchy circle innit.

Comment

Simple numbers

I like the simplistification of theoretical numbers like eleventy seven. They tend to ask questions rather than seek answers, and I don't think any right-thinking person can quibble with the value in that.

Comment

Simple numbers

I like numerology. Like adding up the letters in your name to see the future. I read somewhere that if all the numbers in your birthday are prime then you will be lucky. Well mine are and I am still waiting for the luck, but maybe it is just around the corner.

I like the number 2. It is my birthday and it is even but also prime and it is the number of the Moon and I was born on a Monday. And it looks nice. But I have trouble writing it and it comes out with a loop sometimes and without a loop sometimes. My favourite number to write is 7 which I always write with a bar across it. Oh or four, writing four is similar to two, sometimes the top joins up to make a triangle, sometimes it does not join. I like unpredictability when you are writing things down.

Comment

Simple numbers

I like 8. My 8th birthday was on the 8th of the 8th 88. That's a lot of fucking 8s.

My Dad likes the number 13. He was born on the 13th, in house number 13. His name is Michael Taylor, which is 13 letter long, and M, his initial, is the 13th letter of the alphabet.

Other favourites include 7, 4 and 9.

Comment

Simple numbers

21 is such a cool number. It's the age when you can drink anywhere you god damn like, it's likely a winning pair of cards total in blackjack and it's the date I was born on.

So, 21 FTW

Comment

Simple numbers

I like 1. Because it's my birthday, and it's the first proper number, innit?

So, yeah. 1. Mofos.

Comment

Simple numbers

I've just realised that 24, the day of November on which I was born, really looks like a fellow riding a horse. Or a mischievious hound pouncing to bite the neck of a swan.

For a long time my date of birth was recorded on official documentation as the 14th. At first I found this compelling - imagining future encyclopaedia entries about myself referring to there being "some controversy" over my true date of birth.

Then I decided to emigrate, and it all got a bit complicated. All I needed to register with the council is my original birth certificate and my passport. Which had different dates of birth on them.

So I made a hurried appointment with the passport office to get a new passport with my correct date of birth. The only appointment they could give me was the first one of the day, so I ended up getting up at the crack of dawn fully prepared to walk two miles to Piccadilly, then get the 7.15 train.

And it rained like a bastard all the time I was walking. I got the train to Liverpool, then a cab to the Passport Office, wallowing the entire time in my freezing sogginess. Every single part of my body was in nagging discomfort, but I made it there on time.

Unfortunately, by the time I had got to making my case about this ridiculous administrative fuckup I would like cleared up, I was shaking all over and white as a sheet. I was clinging onto the counter for fear of my legs giving way underneath me. I had the occasional panicked thought of shitting in my pants. I barely made myself understood, and was sent to the cashier's window, and then out into the street with the promise that they'd have a passport ready for me in four hours.

I spent the next four hours walking around Liverpool like a dosser. The rain had stopped, but I was still drenched. I had no money, and fuck all to do for four hours. It was fucking rubbish.

Then a lady from the passport office phoned me, and said that they would happily give me my new passport for free if I agreed that the old one had been destroyed. This was nice, but I quite regret losing the old passport. The picture on it made me look like some Norwegian church-burner.

This thread is fucking brilliant.

Comment

Simple numbers

How did I get name-checked in the opening post? I mean, as far as you lot know, I could be some sort of Rain Manesque number crunching genius.

I'm not, like. I can't even do long division. But I could be.

Comment

Simple numbers

I don't know if The Equaliser missed out a comma up there after 'Stupid', but anyway, yer ol' 111 is far from being a simple number, in fact (and I therefore hereby withdraw it from this thread).

Comment

Simple numbers

I'm not going to do the equivalent of mentioning Escoffier on a thread about baked beans, but I do want to stick up for zero. Zero's great. More love for love, please.

Comment

Simple numbers

Nah, it literally means nothing. At least 8 looks like there's two of them; that's double your nothing. But then 0 times 2 isn't 8, so I think the boffins have got it wrong on that one.

(And as for the number 8 falling over onto its side if you try and divide it by 0, the less said the better.)

Comment

Simple numbers

It's the age when you can drink anywhere you god damn like,
                              Well, maybe not in a prison. Or a mosque.

Comment

Simple numbers

Oh Lord no, no comma was meant to be present. I wouldn't insult anyone aimlessly unless there was a frustrating football match in the way.

111 is plenty simple in binary.

Comment

Simple numbers

"(And as for the number 8 falling over onto its side if you try and divide it by 0, the less said the better.)"

"Place it on its side and it's a symbol meaning infinity"

Comment

Simple numbers

EIM wrote:
                                    How did I get name-checked in the opening post? I mean, as far as you lot know, I could be some sort of Rain Manesque number crunching genius.

I'm not, like. I can't even do long division. But I could be.
                                    I'm not sure you can feign outrage after contributing to the thread itself. Even if you're feigning mock outrage, I still don't think you can do it. Sorry to be a stickler, etc.

Comment

Simple numbers

No mention yet for the voluptuous, breastlike curves of 3? Even if one side is sometimes a bit bigger than the other.

Comment

Working...
                                      X