Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Afganistan;Another day, another Farce....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So much for 'democracy'.

Not surprising at all though is it (not that it isn't depressing)? Is there a single element of this 'good war' that has been a success?

Comment

The boost to the arms industry.
      And probably the prosthetic limbs one also.

Though occupation in perpetuity looks even more likely.

But overall a recipe for continued bloodshed.

More here.

Comment

I know I speak for the majority of the population when I say I'm sick and tired of going to war to prop up the flagging prosthetic limb industry. It's time we, as a nation, found new ways to make money that doesn't involve plastic legs. Only then will we see an end to needless wars.

Comment

Indeed.

But a cause more for cynicism than any 'humour' as such.

Comment

How many do you reckon have died, over there? Not UK soldiers, that number matters, gets counted out every day. Aghanis, I mean.

I was wondering about it, after reading this:

Johann Hari sometimes does a good job of drawing attention to the humanitarian consequences of the war. Here, he notes that according to Lt Col Kilcullen, in recent aerial attacks the US has killed 98 civilians for every two 'insurgents' killed. If that ratio holds for the air war as a rule, then consider that the US is currently boasting of having killed up to 25,000 insurgents. 25k is 2% of 1.25m.

Lacking a Lancet-style cluster survey, one can only make an educated guess as to whether such a figure is approximately realistic. There was one cluster survey carried out for the first nine months of the invasion and occupation, which estimated that 10,000 civilians had been killed, the majority from air attacks. A similar survey today would be reporting the effects of a far more intense aerial campaign, in a war lasting for eight years now.

Comment

Working...
            X