Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you met your heroes?

...and did they disappoint?

I have met Jon Peel, who was lovely as I thought he would be, Ryan Giggs who wasn't as fast as I expected as I managed to catch him to get an autograph and Lemmy

That latter I have always found friendly, good company and much more intelligent than he comes across in print. I have heard from others that he is truculent to deal with. Having said that, I sort of expect him to be a grumpy old man on occasion so that wouldn't disappoint

In answer to your question, have met 2 or 3 of them.
    Though one of them was speaking to them live on national radio.

And Yes.

Comment

I don't think I've got any heroes. Moonlight Shadow reckons I've got one, though, and I've met that one.

Comment

Obviously, that is the correct answer, WE, as we don'tknow what people are really like (Hence the qualifying question)

Having said that,there are a lot of people who I admire or admired as a kid (Peel/Lemmy) and I wondered if anyone else finds it disappointing when they met them.

Surely, you had heroes when you were younger? Carol Vorderman? Dr Heinz Wolf?

Comment

See, I don't know whether you're taking the piss now. I mean, Heinz Wolf might actually be a serious suggestion, but that would mean you were serious about Vorderman too, and, man, you can't be.

But as you press me: Richie Benaud maybe. Not met him. David Attenborough ditto. (Not really heroes, though--my hero was the fictional character of the Doctor as played by Tom Baker.)

Comment

I wasn't serious about either but I was fairly definite Vorderman wasn't a hero.

Did you ever meet Tom Baker? An OTFer on here has a great Tom Baker anecdote involving an iron.

Or was it Jon Pertwee?

Comment

I've met (and sold a fanzine to)Joey Beauchamp , who was one of my childhood heroes. Didn't really speak to him enough to form an opinion either way.Clearly a discerning reader, though.

More recenly, I met and chatted at length to Brian Cox, one of my current heroes, who certainly didn't disappoint and who put up with my drunken ranting about Horizon and LHC crackpots far longer than he should have. Top bloke.

Comment

No, Bored, Heinz Wolff is properly cool: look, heated underwear as a solution to the energy crisis.

Comment

Working...
                X