Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Office- can anyone see the catch here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Office_Enterprise_2007-details.aspx

My friend has dealt with them and they seem OK.

My current computer is playing up a bit, so may get another one soonish. But that's OK because I can install on two computers, isn't it?

Looks OK .. I suppose they're just trying to stop naughty students downloading for free, and know that corps will shell out full price.

I see they do Adobe too.

Sigh. I paid full price for all mine because I have accreditation and use it commercially, but at least it's offset against tax.

Comment

The student thing seems very lax- it seemed like all I needed to do was name a college I attended.

Thanks, anyway.

Comment

It's got the full MS seal of approval:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/students/promotions/default.aspx

Comment

Thanks for the (sort of) reminder. Just been able to download SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition for free thanks to Microsoft Dreamspark (another MS initiative for students, this time giving professional software to students for free, as long as they can verify their student status).

Comment

Bloody Students.

Comment

Just get OpenOffice, for fuck's sake.

Comment

Indeed. I am so happy to be rid of MS Office it's got to be the worst example of bloatware on the market. Mellel and Open Office are smooth as silk in comparison and ten percent of the price combined.

Comment

I've got Open Office already (thanks, Hobbes). But other people (potentially for work) are likely to want stuff in Word. I expect it's compatible and all that, but try telling that to everyone I'm likely to deal with. They'll just think "What the hell is this?"

Comment

Open Office is cool, but it's spreadsheet capabilities are pretty limited compared to Excel 2007.

Comment

What workingstiff said about Excel.

My company is just moving over to MS platform and we were given the chance to buy a copy of Office Enterprise for home use for £9.

So I think Microsoft are finally wising up that it's better to get some money than charge the ridiculous prices for their software that encourages piracy.

Comment

Taylor wrote:
                        Just get OpenOffice, for fuck's sake.
                        It doesn't have .docx support at the moment (well it didn't last time I tried) which is a pain. There are ways round this, and I'm sure OO will resolve it but if you need to open Word 2007 documents it's not ideal at the moment unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                        X