Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you already had "Heinz tomato soup"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hold on, Felicity, that recipe does sound fantastic but it isn't baked beans, is it?

That is like saying spaghetti on toast is not as good as home-made spag bol. Obviously it isn't but it isn't the same thing and it doesn't serve the same purpose. One is a meal in itself that you would serve for a family dinner whereas the other is for lunch on toast or at a push as an acompaniment to fish fingers and chips.

I expect your recipe doesn't exclusively use haricot beans, does it?

Comment

It is haricot beans, yeah, and they are...baked in an oven with tomatoes and flavourings.

You can use tinned (tho they tend to break up more, obviously) and the whole thing takes about 40 mins

Comment

OK, I will give you the haricot beans but, it being obviously the origin of the name notwithstanding, baked beans have been stovetop cooked for so long that, if they are actually baked it makes themless authentic.

I've confused myself there, I am off to bed

Comment

Doc Stanton wrote:
          EIM wrote:
          Though I've heard people refer to tommy k once or twice.
          Yeah a few people I know call it 'tammy k', a few, not a lot.

I don't think I've ever had Campbells soup. I now feel like there is a void in my soup knowledge that can only be plugged by a tin of Campbells soup.
          Avoid the chicken soup. Unlike (say) Heinz chicken soup, and the Tomato Soups made by Heinz and Campbell, the one tin of Campbell's chicken soup that I bought didn't pour out of the tin. Instead, it slid out in a single can-shaped congealed lump.

Never ever had that with any Heinz tin. Even if their carrot & coriander is rank.

Comment

I have strong opinions on baked beans and tomato soup, but they're way to snobby for this thread. All I will say is that the only tomato soup I enjoy eating is gazpacho.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I am a food ponce.

I just think that some food should remind you of the food of your youth - baked beans, tomato soup, salad cream etc.

That brings me to another crime committed by by culinary arch-nemesis, Cunt Rhodes. He once did a programme where he made his own pork pie and then made his own salad cream, the twat

Comment

Canned baked beans and home-made baked beans are creatures so different that they might as well be from different galaxies. But both are delicious for quite different reasons. The latter is a symphonic blend of subtle flavours. Prepared long and slow like good foreplay, in many ways Boston baked beans (and variants) are the perfect one pot meal. Canned baked beans OTOH, are the classic accompaniment to almost any savoury comfort food. Served alone they're kind of sad and meaningless — eaten cold from the tin, utterly pathetic — but add some thing as mundane as a piece of toast and they leap into life, topped with a fried egg they're bliss. Almost the perfect three minute meal — minus most of the required food groups of course.

Comment

Tuscan baked beans is carrying ponciness too far, though. Or rather, not too far: in the wrong direction. Think Boston, not Florence.

Honestly, home-made Boston baked beans are right up there among your culinary treats. Though definitely not for vegetarians (in general, I think pulses and fatty meat are made for each other).

Comment

Branston baked beans are better than Heinz btw...

Otherwise Amor is spot on, I like my "fagioli in humido" but they have bugger all to do with "baked beans"...

Comment

I never liked tinned beans as a kid, I'm not sure why. Certainly it wasn't proto-food-snobbery, not at that age. And tinned spaghetti literally made me sick. (One spectacular episode at primary school actually made the Head, who happened to witness it, rethink his antediluvian "eat everything on your plate" policy. The smug authoritarian cunt.) Indeed, because of that sort of thing, it was years before I tried actual fresh-cooked spaghetti.

So the "nostalgia food" thing isn't working for me on things like beans and hoops (on the soup, yeah).

Comment

Canned spaghetti made me gag as a kid too. I think it was their sliminess.

Comment

Why on Earth... wrote:
                          tinned spaghetti literally made me sick. (One spectacular episode at primary school actually made the Head, who happened to witness it, rethink his antediluvian "eat everything on your plate" policy. The smug authoritarian cunt.) Indeed, because of that sort of thing, it was years before I tried actual fresh-cooked spaghetti.
                          We only had proper spaghetti as children; I only came across tinned spaghetti years later.

Comment

I hate toms (or as my dad calls them, "tommy-arters" - not sure how he'd spell it) and never get tomato soup. But as my parents grow loads of the taste-not-matching-the-texture blighters, my mam made some tomato soup and gave me some. I had a bowl last night and it was actually quite nice - but I'm sure it had pips in still.

Comment

Though definitely not for vegetarians (in general, I think pulses and fatty meat are made for each other).
                              The Portuguese do broad beans and pork spectacularly well. I think the Italians go for similar I believe and, of course, do sausages and lentils.

Comment

Working...
                              X