Hallowe'en and that

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hallowe'en and that

Tell me a ghost story. Or tell me about what exciting things you're doing for Hallowe'en.

And yes, trick or treat has been turned into a vile Americanised heap of manky old bobbins and is a symptom of all that is wrong with the world.
    Nonetheless. This is a thread for the romanticised ideal. For apple bobbing, for looking over your shoulder in the mirror at midnight and seeing the face of the love of your life, for gathering round the hearth while the wind whistles and the owls hoot outside, and twigs tap like fingernails on the windowpanes, telling stories in the dim firelight to scare the living bejesus out of each other.

Hallowe'en and that

The best thing about Halloween is the 8-day Most Haunted Live spectacular that's on every night this week.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

I find Halloween the most boring of occasions. Not for any God-bothering reasons, just because it is one of those events that has been completely superseded as a orgy ofcapitalist consumerism imported from America.

It always reminds me that Hugh Hefner refers to New Years Eve as 'amateur night'.

El Día de los Muertos on November 2nd is much cooller. Guy Fawkes Night would be as well if it wasn't for the mental idea of a normally nannying society allowing drunk idiots explosives for the month running up to it

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

Sorry, Lyra,somewhat knackered the romanticized ideal part there.

Bah humbug

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

I know this is very bah humbug of me, but Helloween is by far my least favourite holiday/celebration (and it's not an anti-American thing; Thanksgiving is my favourite). I never much liked gothy stuff and I never liked dressing up, so it just seems silly.

The only redeeming thing about it is having an American better-half who likes the trick-or-treating aspect and therefore buys huge amounts of sweeties to feed to the neighbourhood's feral kids and get them hyperactive. This means, almost inevitably, that there's going to be stuff left over for me and I can binge on low-quality sugary delights for the next week.

(Guy Fawkes night would be so much better if someone build a model of Parliament and blew it up on a barge on the Thames every year, as a warning).

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

Gah. I know trick or treat is vile! We need to reclaim our Samhain, our spiritual pagan harvest/end of summer/honouring the dead festival. Hallowe'en I guess refers too much to the Christian calendar, although I do love All Saint's Day and All Soul's Day, they might be my favourite Christian days.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

hobbes wrote:
              The best thing about Halloween is the 8-day Most Haunted Live spectacular that's on every night this week.
              To be visiting a couple of locations in Lancaster this time, ectoplasm fans.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

I'm normally part of the bah humbug crowd as well - I didn't like Halloween much as a kid (autumn evenings in Scotland are invariably raining/freezing), and I'm really not into dressing up now I'm an adult.

However, I've found a way round it this year - with a bit of ingenuity, I'm going to go to my friends' Halloween party wearing my own clothes:

- long grey coat of vaguely Victorian cut
                - white shirt
                - black trousers and shoes
                - floppy black bow tie (the only thing I had to buy for this)
                - framed photo of my dad wearing the exact same outfit (yes, he posed for this - he's a good sport)

And voila, I'm Dorian Gray.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

Bored of Education wrote:
                  It always reminds me that Hugh Hefner refers to New Years Eve as 'amateur night'.
                  Heff's a cunt though, eh? I don't really know what he's on about with that, but he'd know all about pros.

I like halloween, purely because of my abiding love for horror movies and sweets.

I'm getting zombied out of my nut on Saturday, but the way.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

I took LSD in New York once (darlings) and went out for a lovely walk in Central Park to appreciate the gorgeous autumn colours.

I could spin this out, but New York goes in for Halloween Pet Costume Competitions in a big way, which I didn't know about. I was just very confused to see people walking along with pets dressed as Dracula, zombies, etc.

It's freaky enough when you're straight.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

An eight-day week eh? Spooky.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

MsD wrote:
                        I took LSD in New York once (darlings) and went out for a lovely walk in Central Park to appreciate the gorgeous autumn colours.

I could spin this out, but New York goes in for Halloween Pet Costume Competitions in a big way, which I didn't know about. I was just very confused to see people walking along with pets dressed as Dracula, zombies, etc.

It's freaky enough when you're straight.
                        Christ. I'm not sure I'd have been able to cope with that. The one time I took acid, and the only time I'll ever take acid, going in to Londis to buy a can of Red Stripe became the hardest thing in the world. Pets as zombies? Nah, I'd have been done for.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

I found it funny rather than scary. My first acid trip, yeh, I was scared to leave the house, but when I got used to it, used to love going to parks and galleries etc., as long as I/we didn't have to engage in conversations with people too much (my friend asked a barman for "a nice quiet pint of beer") it was fine.

I did damage an expensive art exhibit once, I stuck my finger through it.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

Anyone have any real life ghost stories to tell?

I had a conversation with my great grandmother when I was three (apparently), regardless of the fact that she died some 25 years before I was born.

Occasionally, when everyone is tucked up in bed, you can still hear a distinct 'click' click' sound which the dog used to make when she walked on the kitchen tiles...

October 31st is also my mothers birthday...

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

My thoughts on Halloween, crystallised, as they often are on many issues, by Larry David:

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

No. Because there's no such thing as ghosts.
                                Even I know that and I'm a Most Haunted fan.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

Our village has an honest-to-goodness haunted-house. (Ooohhh, the old vicarage!) I've known different families who've lived there, and they've all claimed to have experiences with a poltergeist.

It's like the UFO thing - it's not whether the ghost actually exists that's interesting; it's how utterly convinced these otherwise-rational people are.

Mind you, Yvette from Most Haunted only lives up the road, she might attract them.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

I do love All Saint's Day and All Soul's Day, they might be my favourite Christian days.
                                    Very under-rated, they are.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

Aren't they just? great excuses for a lovely requiem or three.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

And go me, with the inexcusable apostrophological error not once but twice! I deserve for kids to chuck flour at me.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

QUOTE:

No. Because there's no such thing as ghosts.
                                          Up until a couple of weeks ago I would have agreed with ya, but then I encountered one in what was my local pub in Selhurst.

The pub was mostly empty and I was standing at the bar chatting to my friend H. I had my left hand side to the bar and I was resting my pint on it. There was no-one sitting at the tables behind and no-one standing either. Behind about 8 foot away is a gap into the next part of the bar.

Anyway I felt someone touch my waist on the left hand side and gently ease me away from the bar as if to get served or put their pint down.

I looked down, no hand. I looked at H in WTF sort of way and then looked over my shoulder and there was no-one there.

I asked her if there had been anyone behind me and she said no there hadn't but that spot where I was standing was notorious for people being pushed aside just before closing. The pub has a few ghosts apparently though that was my first encounter.

There was no way someone could have disappeared round the corner, and its not the type of pub where if a trick had been played on me they would have kept it quiet.

I didn't get a chill down my spine or any of that, just a WTF feeling.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

You know H? Cool.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

Next time you meet up, ask him if Steps are going to reform.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

Oh, it's a girl. Sorry.

Comment

Hallowe'en and that

ganja...is that you?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X