Race and Intelligence: the last taboo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to come on Channel 4, at 9 o'clock.

Oh, how I love that I'm starting this thread right next to the one that's still going about the BN bloody P being on the BBC. Shall I just black up, and start playing a ukelele?

OTF: I am NOT the starter of threads about racist issues, I just happen to be the one starting threads about things that I think will spark OTF debate, which we all love so.

Still. I remember a similar study to this from when I went to Uni, almost twenty years ago.
    East Asians were meant to be incrementally "better" at every IQ test they'd come up with with, than European whites, and the whites in turn were "better" than blacks, in both America and Europe.

Could be an interesting programme. I'm sure the underlying stats will be exposed as utter bollocks though (cultural factors must surely be a huge variable in these "tests" that's not been taken into account?)

Comment

Comment

Only made it to four pages last time around.

Comment

They're also running The Event: How Racist Are You? and Is It Better To Be Mixed Race?. What a fascinating season it promises to be on Channel 4.

Comment

What a stupid title for anything. There's no such thing as a "last taboo"; it's not as if anything anyone could possibly do or conceive of is suddenly going to become acceptable, now that some twats have fleetingly implied that race determines intelligence and then admitted that it doesn't. The fucking paedophilic crackhead rapist Islam-loving/hating retards.

Telly's rubbish, isn't it. Apart from The Thick Of It and that.

Comment

I don't watch telly. It is, as you say, shite. If there's owt people recommend enough, I catch it on line.

Not seen the Thick Of It yet. But enough people have mentioned it for me to find time.

Comment

Tune in next week for 'Bestiality: the other last taboo'.

Comment

TMA wrote:
                  They're also running The Event: How Racist Are You? and Is It Better To Be Mixed Race?. What a fascinating season it promises to be on Channel 4.
                  From what I've seen on the former, it does at least seem to be based on a number of psychosocial experiments conducted by schoolteacher Jane Elliot, which ended up forming the basis of a documetary (A Class Divided, available to watch here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/divided/ ).

Elliot's initial experiment in Iowa in 1968 was to divide her schoolkids into "blue eyes" and "brown eyes" and give one half privelleges and the deny them to the other half, and also say that kids with one eye colour were "better" in many ways than the other. The two sets of kids divided and acted accordingly with one half looking down on the other half. The next day, she told the kids she'd got it the wrong way round, and found a role reversal. The third day, she told them neither eye colour was better than the other, and talked to them about racism in general. She found that not only did the kids turn out to be more tolerant than their parents, but also their subsequent schoolwork was better than children of previous years.

Elliot has repeated the experiment a number of times on other schoolkids, but also on adults including prison workers in Iowa.

Comment

She found that not only did the kids turn out to be more tolerant than their parents, but also their subsequent schoolwork was better than children of previous years.
                    See? That's just the sort of outrageous claim a Blueeye would make

Comment

and before BOE flames me I'd like to make the following admission

***Satire Alert***

Comment

Working...
                      X